Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Skylaw.....MB BT and text messages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Skylaw.....MB BT and text messages

............I jut installed an MB PT puck in my car and it works well with my Siemens S66 phone. I have a problem. When I get a text message when I get a text message while in my car, the phone alerts but not the comand. The BT system does not recognize incoming text messages. What experiences have tyou or anyone had with text messages and the MB BT system? Thanks

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 04-22-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
I read some posts back when I first got my puck, and I think the conclusion was you can't do text and email through COMAND. I have a work Blackberry and a personal Motorola Q. I emailed my Q (which is connected to BT) and nothing on COMAND. I also texted something and again nothing.

I was hoping there might be one of those 3-5-7 type tricks, but ain't heard of any.

If you hear of any tricks, do post!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by jallison12
I read some posts back when I first got my puck, and I think the conclusion was you can't do text and email through COMAND. I have a work Blackberry and a personal Motorola Q. I emailed my Q (which is connected to BT) and nothing on COMAND. I also texted something and again nothing.

I was hoping there might be one of those 3-5-7 type tricks, but ain't heard of any.

If you hear of any tricks, do post!
.........I had a UHI phone system in my car with the same Siemens S66 phone. I explanted this to install the BT puck. with the required autosense PSE. I was able to get text messages on the comand with the UHI system.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 04-22-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Ted,

My COMAND manual says that my MHI system is capable of sending and receiving SMS IF I have a "mobile phone cradle" and "Mercedes Benz specified compatible phone." It does not address Bluetooth at all, regarding SMS - and while the quoted language is ambiguous, use of the term "cradle" means plug-in phone to me. That's about the best I can do with it.

Text messages are not a feature that I use, so I have never tried them on the MB system.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Ted,

My COMAND manual says that my MHI system is capable of sending and receiving SMS IF I have a "mobile phone cradle" and "Mercedes Benz specified compatible phone." It does not address Bluetooth at all, regarding SMS - and while the quoted language is ambiguous, use of the term "cradle" means plug-in phone to me. That's about the best I can do with it.

Text messages are not a feature that I use, so I have never tried them on the MB system.
...........understood. Thanks. In my line of work text messaging has replaced pagers. As I stated before, I was able to get text messaging on the Comand with my UHI, but not with the BT puck. You are righ, it appears that at least for now that it is not possible in MB BT system.

.........If anyone is able to get text messaging on the comand screen with the puck or with Argos, kindly chime in.

Ted

Another Addendum:

I further obtained this info regarding the UHI viseo system.

The ViseeO does not support sending/receving SMS messages.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=3&gl=us

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 04-23-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Ted,

I have a lot of ways to spend your money - but here goes.

My MHI system does support text messages with a plug-in phone (I use the V710; you may have to use a V60S). You might consider using such a phone and cradle, and use a dual-line setup as we have discussed before - one line for the phone you'd leave in the car, the other for the one you carry. Unfortunately, as I believe you have also pointed out in the past, SMS does not work in a call forwarding situation - so that may not work for you either.

Also, you used an Autosense PSE - so you have a pre-MHI system. While those systems handled SMS, I am not sure if there are differences between those systems and MHI in capability.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-24-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin

Another Addendum:

I further obtained this info regarding the UHI viseo system.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=3&gl=us

Ted
I have the ViseO and Nokia 6500. I can't see SMS on the COMAND. Would be great if there was a simple solution.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by OzE55
I have the ViseO and Nokia 6500. I can't see SMS on the COMAND. Would be great if there was a simple solution.
The MB BT SAP device would have it, but you probably don't have UHI and would need to upgrade your phone kit first.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The MB BT SAP device would have it, but you probably don't have UHI and would need to upgrade your phone kit first.

........I have UHI. There two BT options for UHI. One is the Viseeo and the other is HFP. I just also learned that the MB BT SAP is also useable in MB D2B cars with exchangeable UHI cradle (which I have). Looks like the MB BT SAP will indeed support SMS on the Comand screen because it takes over the SIM identity of the phone. This is fantastic news. The problem is that not all phones support SAP. I need to find out if the RIM Pearl 8120 supports SAP. This is the phone I plan to use. Thank you. You have added to my knowledge.

Ted

Update:
No, the RIM phones do not support sim access profile (SAP). However this is not the problem. The SAP BT devices I have found work only on GSM 900 and GSM 1800 networks. This will not be useful in the USA.

.........Very interesting to me how no one thought about SMS messages when they were developing all of these devices. It is not as if SMS messages are a new thing.

.........the question now is, are their ant MB BT SAP cradles that support USA GSM networks. The MHI cradle in the USA which looks exactly like the SAP BT cradle sold in Europe has the same physical copnnection but is not SAP capable as far as I know.

.........is anyone using the USA MHI BT cradle in their 2005 or newr vehicle able to get text messages on their comand screen? If this is the case, I will get the USA MHI BT cradle and test it with my European UHI system. They are not exactly the same, but many of the cradles are actually interchangeable and do work.

Ted

Update.:
The Mercedes BT MHI cradle does NOT support SAP. It supports HPF. It is essentially not different fropm the BT puck. Since both the BT puck and the MHI BT cradle do not support SAP, there does not appear to be currntly a BT SMS messaging solution in MB cars sold in the USA. Network incompatibilty prevents the use of the MB BT SAP cradle sold in Australia from being used in the USA.

..........Developers, here you have it. Develop an MB SAP compatible BT cradle and become rich.

Ted

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 04-24-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
If you go with the argos unit, and if your phone has voice command, the phone will be able to actually read your text messages to you while driving.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 PM

Does Curry mean anything to you?

Does Curry mean anything to you?

Katama John