Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Theory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Theory

The engine start/stop button on the ML (GL/R/etc.) is a removable piece that looks like a key on the bottom and gets plugged onto the ignition switch.

Could I have one of those buttons programmed to match my key and have it work for starting/stopping the car like cars with keyless go?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by baxterdown
The engine start/stop button on the ML (GL/R/etc.) is a removable piece that looks like a key on the bottom and gets plugged onto the ignition switch.

Could I have one of those buttons programmed to match my key and have it work for starting/stopping the car like cars with keyless go?
The button is a peace of plastic only. Nothing to program on it. KG means sensors on the door handles and antennas detecting your key (one or the other side of the car, the rear or inside) etc.

I've seen it only on a W221 but I assume it is the same on the cars you mention.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:56 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
I'm not sure the button is only a piece of plastic. It has to have some sort of electronics in it to start the car when the button is pushed.

I do see your point on the sensors detecting the key.

So, assuming what you say is correct, once KG has sensed there is a key in the car, the system will let the button start/stop the car. At the same time, once the system senses the key is out of the car, the system will let the user lock the car (via door handle or key fob).

Could, then, the button work on the same theory with a non KG car? Once the driver unlocks the car, the system is "good" to press the button for start/stop. And, because the button is passive, the system would let the driver lock the car without the car thinking the key is still in the ignition.

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!!!

Jose
Old 06-05-2008, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
it's a hunk of plastic... no electronics

replacement part is about $20 at MB parts

but hey you can remove it every time you want to start it, just change the words, remove to insert key to start vehicle... because i know a plastic piece will do it because I seen it elsewhere.... it will be small writing

Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 AM

1972 280SE 4.5
So, what makes the car start when the button is pushed?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
the cylinder
Old 06-06-2008, 07:21 AM

1972 280SE 4.5
Darn! You're right. I called the dealership yesterday and asked for the price. When the parts rep gave it to me, I asked "and how much to program it" and he said it didn't need to be programmed.

Oh well, there goes my theory of getting push button start for my ML!