Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Need Help for Sunroof Switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML320
Question Need Help for Sunroof Switch

I have an 01 ML320. It had been in for service (right rear spring broke on me and had to replace a total of 3 ball joints). Anyway, it sat for almost a week and the battery had died. They charged it up and when I went to open the sunroof last night, the one touch to open wouldn't work, I had to hold it. I then tried to close it and it wouldn't budge. I did get it closed a quarter of the way by pressing up on the button like I would to just tilt it.

Does it sound like maybe just a switch? This is my first MB and I have had it for a year now....it has about 97,000 miles on it. Even with the issues I've been having, I still love it!

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by lisamwm
I have an 01 ML320. It had been in for service (right rear spring broke on me and had to replace a total of 3 ball joints). Anyway, it sat for almost a week and the battery had died. They charged it up and when I went to open the sunroof last night, the one touch to open wouldn't work, I had to hold it. I then tried to close it and it wouldn't budge. I did get it closed a quarter of the way by pressing up on the button like I would to just tilt it.

Does it sound like maybe just a switch? This is my first MB and I have had it for a year now....it has about 97,000 miles on it. Even with the issues I've been having, I still love it!

Thanks for your help!
No, I don't think it is the switch. Do your windows work OK? I'm assuming the roof and the windows were not normalised (calibrated). Your car manual should tell how this is done. For the windows usually (switch on ignition) push the button and keep it pushed a couple of seconds after each window has reached the end.

For the sunroof usually tilt-open it all the way by pushing the button up and keep the button pressed a few seconds.

Calibration is needed every time the battery has been disconnected.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:27 PM

2001 ML320
my windows were working okay. i will look in the manual and see what it says. i'll also try pressing the tilt up and if that doesn't work, disconnect the battery and try again.

thanks!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Another reason causing the auto-closure not working would be that the sun-roof is a bit sticky and needs lubrication. But if the problem only came after the battery had been disconnected, then the calibration sounds a more likely reason.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:49 PM

2001 ML320
I had one of the tech's here at work look at it with me and we pulled the fuse for the sunroof, disconnected and re-connected the battery. He then did the calibration and it is now working! YEAH!

Thanks again for your help!