Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W208 aftermarket Nav/Audio unit campatible with steering wheel controls??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Zal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK55
W208 aftermarket Nav/Audio unit campatible with steering wheel controls??

Folks,

Is there a double DIN unit one can install in the 208 that will function with the steering wheel controls? i.e. no loss of functionality?

I have looked on the forum and have not seen an explicit answer (maybe I am missing something) and when I talked to crutchfield the tech suggested the steering wheel adapters available would not be compatible with the W208.

Many thanks for your input.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R230
Not sure about your specific model, but take a look at the Soundgate website. Some time back, I sourced a steering wheel control for my SL which also provided switched ignition, V.S.S., reverse (camera) trigger, audio mute, and illumination signals. The product is the CANPULSE4. It appears to be a plug-n-play for specific models. This would seem like the ideal solution for a headunit replacement.

Also available (optional) are headunit control cables for Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, or Blaupunkt. Although these cables may provide appropriate signals for station/volume changes, not sure whether they would provide detailed dash display information, as the supported headunits do not provide duplex information for the CANBUS.

I also suspect that the steering wheel phone buttons would probably become non-functional, or perhaps serve some other function. However, all other steering wheel functions should be fully operational, as the integrety of the CANBUS is not compromised.

Another point to consider is the audio alerts from such accessories as factory parking sensors, Distronic, etc.. These seem to be integrated to respond regardless of audio mode, or whether the COMAND is on or off. If the COMAND is necessary, not sure how these signals might be integrated. Hopefully, these are separate, stand-alone systems.

As you may surmise, I am no expert on the various MB systems. My research was based on upgrade curiosity. As I have not yet purchased the CANPULSE4, I cannot relate any other information. Hopefully, this may be of some use to others like yourself. If successful, please share your results...

Good luck...