Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

No power in the rear outlets. Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 ML350; 07' Acura RDX; 05'FX45; 03'Murano
Red face No power in the rear outlets. Please help

My daughter plugged an power converter to the power outlet in the trunk of my ML to use her hair dryer. After a few seconds, power out, in there and also in the center console. The one in front with the cig lighter is OK. I checked the fuse box and veverything seem fine. Any idea ? Please help quick before my wife found out.
(it's her ride)
Old 07-23-2008, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Same thing happened to me when I plugged a high current draw device in. I also checked the fuses (even digging the fuse map out from under the spare tire!) and nothing blown.

I read that the rear outlets are protected by a circuit the prevents the battery from being fun flat. I suspect that when you plug in a high current device (like the hair dryer) the resulting voltage drop in the feed wiring causes this circuit to think the battery is in danger of going flat and so disconnects then outlets.

I tried finding a "reset procedure" to no avail. I starting/restarting the car and still no outlets. So I told the deal about it at the next service (for the infamous trailer hitch re-call). They told me they found nothing wrong and, yes indeed, the outlets do now work. I don't know if they reset the controller or if somehow it just reset over time (about two weeks). I guess I'll never know.

I would be curious to know what you find out.

Thanks,

- FD
Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 236 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by am_beagle
My daughter plugged an power converter to the power outlet in the trunk of my ML to use her hair dryer. After a few seconds, power out, in there and also in the center console. The one in front with the cig lighter is OK. I checked the fuse box and veverything seem fine. Any idea ? Please help quick before my wife found out.
(it's her ride)
Did you check the fuses in the passenger side panel? A hair drier is like 1500 watts. That's over 100 amps at 12 volts. It's bound to take out a fuse.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by whoover
Did you check the fuses in the passenger side panel? A hair drier is like 1500 watts. That's over 100 amps at 12 volts. It's bound to take out a fuse.
Plus the inverter efficiency, no way for the fuse to survive.

Guys, you are looking at the fuse from a wrong place. It must be a fuse but it typically isn't at the same place as the front cigarette lighter.