Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Any issues with upgrading the mercedes sound system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320
Any issues with upgrading the mercedes sound system?

I am looking to upgrade the stock sound system in my 01' CLK. Are there any issues or problems I might run into if I plan on replacing the 6-disc CD Player and speakers?

Anything I should look out for?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2008, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Oh, yessss...

Check the phone bulletin for your car, especially the fiber optic loop (ring) diagram. http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm

Your CDC is on the fiber optic loop, and you cannot replace it with just any CDC. You're pretty much limited to MB models for D2B, and possibly not all of those.

Regarding speakers, if you have a Bose audio system, it uses 2-ohm speakers. Replace them with 4-ohm speakers, and you will be very disappointed. Otherwise you should be OK - but check that your speakers match the space to mount them.

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-02-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:35 PM

clk320
Well I plan on getting it professionally installed at a audio shop. I want to know if there is anything they should know and if problems might arise with the car's computer system etc.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:20 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by thestunna
Well I plan on getting it professionally installed at a audio shop. I want to know if there is anything they should know and if problems might arise with the car's computer system etc.
Hmmm - well, that's basically what is contained in the phone bulletin. If the shop has experience with MB's, you should be in good hands. I know of *very* few shops that can claim that.

Skylaw's one of the folks around here who dispenses very good advice. The point he was making is that "upgrading" is a very generic term. Without knowing a lot more about what's in your car today, he gave you pointers to the best bit of reference material available so that you can see for yourself what you are getting into.

Back to the specific points. The CD changer is connected to the head unit via a fiber optic ring. MB changers are the only ones that will work - more specifically, only MB D2B ones. As important, there potentially are other devices on this same fiber ring - so removing bits of it can / will create problems.

Speakers depend on what you have in the car today - if you have Bose sound, you have to use specific 2-ohm speakers to get decent sound out of it. If you don't have the Bose system you have a wider choice of speakers to choose from.

Not trying to be an a$$, but in my experience, I've only found one good audio shop in all of London that specializes in working on MB's, and in general, they don't do partial upgrades, they do complete system replacements.

Last edited by UK-C200; 08-04-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 PM

clk320
Thanks a lot for the advice. I bought my car used and I'm not sure if it has the bose system installed, is there any way to check?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Bose systems ordinarily have "Bose" on the speaker grilles.