Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

HELP - Active headlamp unavailable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' E320 (W211)
HELP - Active headlamp unavailable

This just recently started. The lights would come on at night and try to auto adjust, they would center up and then for a few corners work just fine, but then all of a sudden it would say the above error and the headlights would just stop in their last position, that could be straight, left or right depending on where I was heading when it happened. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if anyone knows if there is a fix for it or if anyone has any idea of what could be causing it. I am really hating the idea that it could be a bad sensor in the headlamp, because I really dont want to buy a new headlamp assembly for the 900 or whatever dollars it will cost.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I've seen at least a couple of posts for a similar issue. I don't think there is a sensor, the stepper motor should calibrate itself at start-up and count the steps then, no feedback needed.

The dealer fix should be a new headlamp assembly. There was a post on replacing the stepper motor for self levelling, it could be even the same part and this motor actually was available from MB as a separate part (intended for some other purpose). You would likely need to disassemble the headlamp unit to figure out if the motor could be changed.

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53930
Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Based on your listing under your avatar, 05 E320, I wager that you may still have warranty. If you do, why not take it to the stealer.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' E320 (W211)
Mercedes has a decent warranty option for most cars...

50K if bought new
100 if bought from dealer used
100K (I think) if bought from a private seller who bought the car new.

I have 59K and got it from a dealer (non-benz) meaning I am out of warranty. Also, a new headlamp will cost ~1000 USD so I am going to go with hell no on that one.