Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Changing COMAND unit face plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Changing COMAND unit face plate

Hi guys,

I checked with MBDoctor.com about their Euro COMAND with in motion DVD playing capabilities. The Euro version looks different button wise and I asked how it comes. They told me it is possible to get the face plate off my original COMAND unit and place it onto the Euro one from them.

Has anyone ever done that so far? I like the US version better with the colors on the buttons.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG; 1995 Porsche 993 Cab.
Actually you do not need to replace the whole front of the unit, the key caps just (carefully!) pry off.

I upgraded from the US to a Euro unit, and did a Mix and Match.

I think I kept the US bottom row buttons (with words not pictograms) and changed a couple of the numeric keys as well as the SAT button to Video.

However, if you are buying a Euro unit and prefer to see the US front, then, yes, the front panels are interchangeable. But really just swapping the key caps does the same thing.

IIRC there's a multitude of connectors to remove and then about 20 screws holding the front panel to the "frame". It took me a while to do (the euro unit I bought had a slight mar in it - hence the swap), but being careful and methodical it was all OK.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned

Hi D Bst, thanks for letting me know. Did you do the COMAND swap by yourself or a dealer? I'm thinking of waiting for Steve from MBenzNL coming over to visit us SoCal's again and let him do it.

Where did you buy yor Euro COMAND?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG; 1995 Porsche 993 Cab.
Swapped the unit myself. Real easy if you follow the details posted in various places on this board.

The harder part was mixing and matching the WHOLE front panels (as the unit I bought from Ebay was a little scuffed and had broken side tabs where a gorilla had removed the unit).

I actually have another spare Euro unit that I recently bought as part of the complete REAR OEM screen/panel (for the kids to watch movies in the back), Maybe we should hook up and I could sell the head unit to you and swap it out for you?

PM me.

Clive.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Banned

I've sent you a PM last night :-) Hope we can get in contact!