Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Battery Drain Problem from Stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C43
Battery Drain Problem from Stereo

Hey everyone- thanks in advance for the advice.

I recently changed the tape player unit in my 1998 European spec C43 to a Becker BE4716 CD player bought in North America. It took just a few minutes and everything plugged in the same as the original unit. I put in the code and it turned right on and sounded amazing. I could also listen to the radio as I had the correct frequency.

My issue since has been constant battery drain. Every 3-4 days the battery is dead. The unit "appears" to go to sleep and shuts down when I turn off the ignition.

I hooked up the ammeter and noted a large draw on the battery with car off and when I pulled the radio fuse, the amps dropped. Does anyone have experience with changing the factory unit and replacing with another mercedes radio and seen this problem? Could it be an issue with wiring, European vs North American spec?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you guys...
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Did you connect the control wire between the audio system and the amp that turns the amp on and off? Perhaps it was bypassed or disconnected when you installed the tape player.

Sorry I can't be more specific - no wiring diagrams for your car. But that is one thing that would explain the problem.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C43
The plugs matched up with the new deck and plugged straight in (plug and play)-
Maybe you are right, that particular deck is not putting the bose amp to sleep OR could it be that the new CD deck is not seing the stock 12 disc changer (I noticed it wouldnt work with the new deck)?