Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W219 NTG 2.5 Retrofitted, need help with SDS programming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W219
W219 NTG 2.5 Retrofitted, need help with SDS programming

Hi,

I have retrofitted NTG 2.5 Comand in my 2005 CLS (W219). Since I previously had only Audio 20 CD, the car does not know that it now has the navigation and telephone units.
I visited local workshop to enable the NAV and TEL information on the instrument cluster with NIL results. The mechanic said it is impossible, since SDS can't communicate with new Comand (when retrofitted in older cars).
What I have found out is that he does not need to code the Comand but the vehicle.
Is there anyone who can give step-by-step instructions where to find the required values in SDS, so that NAV and TEL information is displayed on Instrument Cluster, and to make the steering wheel telephone buttons to work.

Regards
Old 12-11-2008, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by polles
Hi,

I have retrofitted NTG 2.5 Comand in my 2005 CLS (W219). Since I previously had only Audio 20 CD, the car does not know that it now has the navigation and telephone units.
I visited local workshop to enable the NAV and TEL information on the instrument cluster with NIL results. The mechanic said it is impossible, since SDS can't communicate with new Comand (when retrofitted in older cars).
What I have found out is that he does not need to code the Comand but the vehicle.
Is there anyone who can give step-by-step instructions where to find the required values in SDS, so that NAV and TEL information is displayed on Instrument Cluster, and to make the steering wheel telephone buttons to work.

Regards
Why would SDS need to be able to communicate with the Comand if you are version coding the cluster?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:23 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Why would SDS need to be able to communicate with the Comand if you are version coding the cluster?
Hey Diesel - I *think* that some features - when set with a "normal" version of DAS, "check" to validate that the devices are there before writing the config back to the cluster - so if it can't "see" COMAND, it won't update the cluster.

I'm NOT a DAS expert by any stretch, so take this with a grain of salt. I do know that DAS in engineering mode can force write details where the "normal" version "protects" the user from making these type of changes.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:51 PM

W219
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Well, that is a problem with the mechanic - I'm not able to convince him that the cluster can be coded without coding the Comand.
I'm trying to find a way to prove him that it can be done; some path to SDS' secrets would help.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
I did mine last night.

control units - information and comunication - intrument cluster - adaptations - variant coding
Old 12-16-2008, 10:56 AM

W219
GOOD NEWS!!!

Finally everything is working!
I visited another dealer this morning and they were able to code my car's instrument cluster.

I can now confirm that the new Comand NTG 2.5 is 99% compliant with 2005 CLS (W219). The 1% is the non-opening cd changer lid on center panel (this is confirmed on other forums also).

MILLION THANKS TO EVERYONE who helped me with this case.