MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Audio & Electronics (https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics-38/)
-   -   Retrofitting a '09 Comand into a '07 ML? (https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/278337-retrofitting-09-comand-into-07-ml.html)

BenzOwner 01-18-2009 01:08 PM

Retrofitting a '09 Comand into a '07 ML?

Does anyone know if the new Comand system that was introduced in the 2009 ML can be retrofitted into a 2007 ML? I'm especially interested as MB has finally joined the 21th century and is now offering HD (digital) radio, along with vastly improved navigation graphics.

Thanks for the info.

Glenn

blando 01-18-2009 01:18 PM

I'm looking into this for the W211 and I'm searching the forums now. Here's the first thread I found: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...omand-yet.html. It references the ML as well.

Diesel Benz 01-18-2009 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by BenzOwner (Post 3281532)
Does anyone know if the new Comand system that was introduced in the 2009 ML can be retrofitted into a 2007 ML? I'm especially interested as MB has finally joined the 21th century and is now offering HD (digital) radio, along with vastly improved navigation graphics.

Thanks for the info.

Glenn

Are you asking what the new NTG2.5 units do or just how this device can be installed on an older car?

At W211 section members like MB211 (if I remember right) have installed the new head unit.

BenzOwner 01-19-2009 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 3281685)
Are you asking what the new NTG2.5 units do or just how this device can be installed on an older car?

At W211 section members like MB211 (if I remember right) have installed the new head unit.

Actually all I was trying to find out is if the existing wiring, etc. in my 2007 ML320CDI would be able to accept the new 2.5G head and features. Due to the amount of interruptions that I get with Sirius (trees, mountains, etc.) having HD reception would be a definite plus, hence my interest in the 2.5G.

Thanks.

Glenn

rob13572468 01-19-2009 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by BenzOwner (Post 3282974)
Actually all I was trying to find out is if the existing wiring, etc. in my 2007 ML320CDI would be able to accept the new 2.5G head and features. Due to the amount of interruptions that I get with Sirius (trees, mountains, etc.) having HD reception would be a definite plus, hence my interest in the 2.5G.

Thanks.

Glenn

The existing wiring for the 164 chassis (ML/GL) is very close. The main difference is that the microphone, teleaid, rearview camera, and aux input wiring is different and would need to be moved to the proper connectors. Its nothing that a decent shop couldnt do but it may be a difficult as a DIY job.

acr2001 01-19-2009 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by rob13572468 (Post 3283187)
The existing wiring for the 164 chassis (ML/GL) is very close. The main difference is that the microphone, teleaid, rearview camera, and aux input wiring is different and would need to be moved to the proper connectors. Its nothing that a decent shop couldnt do but it may be a difficult as a DIY job.

This is interesting. I take it the exact same holds true for the 2005+ W203 then since AFAIK the head unit is identical (other than the face being a physically different shape).

BenzOwner 01-21-2009 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by blando (Post 3281553)
I'm looking into this for the W211 and I'm searching the forums now. Here's the first thread I found: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...omand-yet.html. It references the ML as well.

Well, before you think about embarking on this journey, I just checked with MB concerning the price of the new Comand unit...you might want to have a seat. The cost of the unit is a staggering $5498 (yup, five thousand four hundred ninety eight smackers) and as it is a special order, it is non-returnable and non-refundable.

Somebody better get hold of Dr. Z and tell him that they can't make up their sales shortfall by jacking up the prices for individual parts to the stratosphere.

Glenn

UK-C200 01-21-2009 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by BenzOwner (Post 3287761)
Well, before you think about embarking on this journey, I just checked with MB concerning the price of the new Comand unit...you might want to have a seat. The cost of the unit is a staggering $5498 (yup, five thousand four hundred ninety eight smackers) and as it is a special order, it is non-returnable and non-refundable.

Somebody better get hold of Dr. Z and tell him that they can't make up their sales shortfall by jacking up the prices for individual parts to the stratosphere.

Glenn

Hey Glenn - where are you getting that price? I'm showing a price of around 2k Euros for the R171 NTG 2.5 and the W211 model. (Dealer price, and zero availability, but ...)

lkchris 01-21-2009 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BenzOwner (Post 3287761)

Glenn

Hey, it's about a $2.5K option and of course when they install it at the factory they get to keep the nonComand system. Channels of distribution are a lot more efficient for factory installation than they are for dealer spare parts.

There's nothing outrageous about this price.

Here's another example: Trailer hitch for and ML/GL is a $550 option factory installed. Parts alone for dealer retrofit are over $1K and by the time the dealer installs it it will be $2K.

IMHO, it's a close thing, but if you want 2009 COMAND, might be best to trade for a 2009 vehicle.

acr2001 01-21-2009 06:39 PM

Comand head units from MB have always been astronomically priced. The MCS II Comand unit for the 2005 - 2007 W203 costs over $5,000 at any dealership. I got one (and verified that it was not a stolen unit) in brand new condition on eBay for under $600.

Tom Sederburg 02-20-2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 3288422)
Here's another example: Trailer hitch for and ML/GL is a $550 option factory installed. Parts alone for dealer retrofit are over $1K and by the time the dealer installs it it will be $2K.

That seems like a pretty good deal... especially considering you could get an aftermarket one for around $200 and just bolt it on yourself. lol

Later,
Tom

lkchris 02-20-2009 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Sederburg (Post 3365054)
That seems like a pretty good deal... especially considering you could get an aftermarket one for around $200 and just bolt it on yourself.

Ah, but you couldn't come close to wiring it correctly.

Tom Sederburg 02-20-2009 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 3365378)
Ah, but you couldn't come close to wiring it correctly.

True, true. :-)

Later,
Tom