Anyone try new comand yet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Anyone try new comand yet

Stopped by Calabasas Mercedes a couple of days ago to see 09 E-class, they didn't have any so picked up catalogue. I actually just wanted to see the comand unit inside. The pictures look like it's a lot better.

Now, if the new one has the built in hard drive, does that mean you can simply swap out your old one for a new 09 one and not have to install the dvd navigation drive to get navigation feature? Also, by swapping head unit, do you automatically get HD radio, bluetooth, and the ipod interface? I know this is new and maybe not even out yet, but just wanted to see if anyone knows anything about this.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Stopped by Calabasas Mercedes a couple of days ago to see 09 E-class, they didn't have any so picked up catalogue. I actually just wanted to see the comand unit inside. The pictures look like it's a lot better.

Now, if the new one has the built in hard drive, does that mean you can simply swap out your old one for a new 09 one and not have to install the dvd navigation drive to get navigation feature? Also, by swapping head unit, do you automatically get HD radio, bluetooth, and the ipod interface? I know this is new and maybe not even out yet, but just wanted to see if anyone knows anything about this.
You seem to be a bit too optimistic. In any case it depends on your current equipment too. A similar Comand update appears for quite a few other models too. Looks like the whole range will soon have the W221/W204 like Comand.

The main question is the compatibility with the existing devices on the MOST ring, perhaps the IC too but with good luck it would work.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess it's to early to tell. Lol, ya I guess I am a too optimistic knowing mercedes benz.

Off topic: dammit, my CD changer in the CL won't eject again and won't play.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
This COMAND is version 2.5 for the E/ML/GL/SL. The W221 (S class), W216 9CL), and W204 (C) have a much a much better 3.0 Version of COMAND. As for its ease of use, its amazing and I love my SL for having the new COMAND.

You can't just swap the HU out. We are talking about better speakers, more equipment in the trunk, new audio gateway, wiring, and such. this is not a worthwhile upgrade IMO.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
This COMAND is version 2.5 for the E/ML/GL/SL. The W221 (S class), W216 9CL), and W204 (C) have a much a much better 3.0 Version of COMAND. As for its ease of use, its amazing and I love my SL for having the new COMAND.

You can't just swap the HU out. We are talking about better speakers, more equipment in the trunk, new audio gateway, wiring, and such. this is not a worthwhile upgrade IMO.
Why would this NTG2.5 device be anything less than what a W221 has? I know what the W221 has and the specs look the same if not better (like BT HF support) compared to the W221.

You seem to have more knowledge than I've seen so far. From the wiring diagrams this unit seems to have almost everything built in. It might work on a car with Audio 20 CD as such as it would not necessarily have other devices on the MOST ring.

Compatibility with an existing AGW might be too much to expect when the new unit already has the tuner etc.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn, and here I was thinking that I saved money by not getting the nav, bluetooth, and ipod installed and this would be a better deal and easier. Oh well, I really just want the bluetooth system (don't really care for the nav, barely used it in my last car, and this one sucks).
Old 08-01-2008, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn, and here I was thinking that I saved money by not getting the nav, bluetooth, and ipod installed and this would be a better deal and easier. Oh well, I really just want the bluetooth system (don't really care for the nav, barely used it in my last car, and this one sucks).
Don't give up yet, you may have done the right decision, too soon to say either way.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:06 PM
XJ9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350

NTG2.5 commands are really different from the 3.0 in that the 3.0 supports faster messaging over the optical fiber. Otherwise the feature set is very similar and in some ways the 2.5 is superior : hard drive music register, ipod media interface, HD radio tuner, all of which the 3.0 in the new S class does *not* have, even for 2009 models.

As far as swapping them out yes its a different setup but not nearly involved as you wrote. The new system in the E has the command HU, amplifier, sirius/HD tuner module, and media interface. You dont have to get all those pieces and its quite likely that all that would be required would be the command and the possibly the new amplifier. What you would need to do is remove a whole bunch of stuff from your existing E including the VCS, telephone system, audio gateway, and CD changer, all of which are now combined into the new command HU.

At any rate, I know it can be done because we have already had rob looking at the new 2009 E to do VIM and backup camera and he figured out how to do the command swap since we have had customers asking..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8I7YXRXetM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB6nLqmccgY
Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 PM

2003 E320
Sweet. Can't wait for these to become available to swap in!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by XJ9
NTG2.5 commands are really different from the 3.0 in that the 3.0 supports faster messaging over the optical fiber. Otherwise the feature set is very similar and in some ways the 2.5 is superior : hard drive music register, ipod media interface, HD radio tuner, all of which the 3.0 in the new S class does *not* have, even for 2009 models.

As far as swapping them out yes its a different setup but not nearly involved as you wrote. The new system in the E has the command HU, amplifier, sirius/HD tuner module, and media interface. You dont have to get all those pieces and its quite likely that all that would be required would be the command and the possibly the new amplifier. What you would need to do is remove a whole bunch of stuff from your existing E including the VCS, telephone system, audio gateway, and CD changer, all of which are now combined into the new command HU.

At any rate, I know it can be done because we have already had rob looking at the new 2009 E to do VIM and backup camera and he figured out how to do the command swap since we have had customers asking..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8I7YXRXetM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB6nLqmccgY
How much are we looking at? If its cheap meaning less than $7K im in. Since I would take a larger loss on the Bluetec by trading it in for an 09.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:07 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
For what it's worth. My truck was in the shop and I got a C300 loaner. iPhone paired with the system but it never downloaded the address book, no matter what I tried.

j.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:10 AM
XJ9

C350
How much are we looking at? If its cheap meaning less than $7K im in. Since I would take a larger loss on the Bluetec by trading it in for an 09.
I cant imagine it would be that much; it all depends on the cost of the parts which would be the main contributor to the total cost. The only issue is the car is so new (theres only a few in the country) that they didnt have the new command in the parts database when i checked.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by deimos
Sweet. Can't wait for these to become available to swap in!
If you read the explanation from XJ9, it isn't exactly a "swap in" in the sense that the old Comand unit would be taken out and a new put in. But if compatibility with the rest that remains in the car is maintained, then it really is a feasible task.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by baxterdown
For what it's worth. My truck was in the shop and I got a C300 loaner. iPhone paired with the system but it never downloaded the address book, no matter what I tried.

j.
Well if iPhone does not work with it, you can always use some other phone or a laptop and download the phone book (address book) with that to this new Comand. With this one the phone book download does not need to work with your phone because it has a local phone book at the HD (like the W221).

Still, did you read the instructions, I remember the W204 phone book download working differently from the previous BT kits.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Stopped by Calabasas Mercedes a couple of days ago to see 09 E-class, they didn't have any
Mercedes production changes over on July 1. It's indeed a bit early to see them here.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:43 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
UH OH! We're screwed!

It's all over the C Class forum. The new COMAND doesn't download the phonebook. I also went to the wireless4mb.com website and looked it up. They don't have the E Class yet, but they have the SL and CLS.

See below for a screen capture. We're screwed!

I'm done with MB!!! It just keeps getting worse!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone try new comand yet-captured.jpg  
Old 08-02-2008, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UH OH! We're screwed!

It's all over the C Class forum. The new COMAND doesn't download the phonebook. I also went to the wireless4mb.com website and looked it up. They don't have the E Class yet, but they have the SL and CLS.

See below for a screen capture. We're screwed!

I'm done with MB!!! It just keeps getting worse!!!!!!!
Shouldn't you wait for an iPhone update and blame them?
Old 08-03-2008, 07:26 AM

1972 280SE 4.5
The iPhone has the functionality to push the address book. It does it seamlessly in my 08 ML and 08 E. Why doesn't it work in the new COMAND then?
Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The iPhone has the functionality to push the address book. It does it seamlessly in my 08 ML and 08 E. Why doesn't it work in the new COMAND then?
The new Comand has the functionality to pull the address book from multiple other phone brands, why isn't iPhone able to send it?

If you know what I mean, this is BT and unfortunately you cannot prove your implementation is correct if your implementation works with one car kit.

I'm not claiming the issue definitely is at the iPhone side, more that it could be either way. With the BT adapters the case is more difficult as there is no SW update support. The new NTG2.5 device can be updated and MB could adapt to the iPhone implementation even if the fault was at the iPhone side. Equally Apple could adapt their iPhone implementation to make it work in the MB configuration, even if the fault at the end was at MB's side.

The one showing real customer support in this area so far is ViseeO, unfortunately not typical for bigger companies. The one really showing respect to their customers would provide the fix. I'll remain waiting to see if it is MB or Apple, or none.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:26 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Diesel, now I'm confused!!

My understanding is that the car's kit is passive and it is the phone who must push the address book. The phone does that via the OBEX profile. So, as long as the car kit is able to store contacts and the phone's bluetooth is equipped with the OBEX profile (not all bluetooth phones are) you're all set.

In any case, I went back to the mb4wireless website and looked at all the compatible phones with the NTG2.5 system listed for the 2009 CLS and SL. There are only two phones (both Blackberry) that have "download contacts" checked -- Not even the Razr, which is one of the most basic and forgiving bluetooth equipped phones can send contacts.

I have the feeling that Apple wins this one.

j.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Diesel, now I'm confused!!

My understanding is that the car's kit is passive and it is the phone who must push the address book. The phone does that via the OBEX profile. So, as long as the car kit is able to store contacts and the phone's bluetooth is equipped with the OBEX profile (not all bluetooth phones are) you're all set.

In any case, I went back to the mb4wireless website and looked at all the compatible phones with the NTG2.5 system listed for the 2009 CLS and SL. There are only two phones (both Blackberry) that have "download contacts" checked -- Not even the Razr, which is one of the most basic and forgiving bluetooth equipped phones can send contacts.

I have the feeling that Apple wins this one.

j.
AWS is only covering a small portion of the phone models, mainly from the US perspective, which again is a small market of phones (the biggest operator in the world has more customers than US totally).

There are a lot of US phones that work even if not listed at the AWS site.

I don't care who wins, I'm more after the customer who loses as long as the two don't work together. Are you happy if Apple is right but their phones don't work (even if they could make them work, you did not argue against that possibility)?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:05 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I don't care who wins, I'm more after the customer who loses as long as the two don't work together. Are you happy if Apple is right but their phones don't work (even if they could make them work, you did not argue against that possibility)?
I'm with you 100%. I could care less who wins. For the record, I'm not one of those Apple fanatics. Like you, I'm on the consumer's side.

And, as a consumer, I don't understand MB's position. Why go backwards? BT phonebook download was implemented in the current generation BT adaptor. Why remove it from the new generation?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:10 PM

2003 E240
It probably isn't mercs fault. In all honesty it's probably this ****ing iPhone and apple. They put a really primitive version of BT on the phone and purposely excluded a lot of features that they are going to add into either an update you have to pay for or a completely new phone. A good way to make money but they are ****ing tools. But it is semi retarded that merc and other phone accessory producers did not try to control this problem a little better considering this phone dominates nearly half the market.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Scraz51
It probably isn't mercs fault. In all honesty it's probably this ****ing iPhone and apple. They put a really primitive version of BT on the phone and purposely excluded a lot of features that they are going to add into either an update you have to pay for or a completely new phone. A good way to make money but they are ****ing tools. But it is semi retarded that merc and other phone accessory producers did not try to control this problem a little better considering this phone dominates nearly half the market.
Hmm my Blackberry works with the NTG2.5 in the SL, so to me its an iPhone issue. If all other phones work and the iPhone doesn't.....hmm then it must be a software issue with the iPhone.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I guess only time will tell. I'm just sick of using the headset and speakerphone, so I'm getting impatient to get the kit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone try new comand yet