Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

So check this out...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
So check this out...

Here goes.

I have a 2006 E350 with the HK7. I wanted to put a sub/amp in it. I read pretty much every how to on here just to be safe. I have been doing car audio for years, even have a case full of trophies from USACi competitions over the years. I have added sup/amp combos in many cars, including BMW, Lexus, Acura, and even my Expedition. But never have I been so stumped...

Here’s what I have:

1 Rockford 12" sealed box.
Mmats Pro Audio 1500w running half power at 750w
Cheapo high level converter with cheapo RCA's.

Here’s how I hooked it up:

Ran the remote wire from the fuse box in the trunk to the amp. I used an empty fuse slot(#7 I believe) and used a 25amp fuse.

Used wire taps to tap into the sub woofer wires which of course go to the Line converter which I have (for now) velcro'd to the under side of the back dash. The RCA's run down the side of the trunk behind the panel to the amp which is located in that space between the spare tire and the top mat thing.

The power and ground to the amp go straight to the batter with an 80amp fuse.

Everything works great, except for one little thing.

The Issue:

FM reception. Here in phoenix I get all the big trendy radio stations. But there are 2 that I really enjoy that don’t come in as good as the big ones normally. 92.7/99.3 and 103.9 (for anyone that lives in phoenix). The don’t come in AT ALL now that this is installed. And the big radio stations don’t come in as crystal clear as the did before the install, but not too noticeable.

Now... If I disconnect the remote wire it works fine, if I disconnect the RCA's from the line converter, works fine. If I open the trunk, it works ok, but not fine. If unplug the power on the amp it works fine. If the key is turned just enough to kick the radio on it works fine, but once you turn the key all the way, and the amp kicks on, no dice.

I tried different fuses to get the remote wire power from, same thing happens with other ones. I grounded the line converter, still no luck. My only thing I can think of is grounding the amp to the chassis instead of the battery, I haven’t tried that yet.

Sorry for the big ol' post, but this is driving me up the wall!! Anyone has any suggestions or remedy for this I would be so grateful.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
I have mine setup the exact same way except for the amp grnd. I have that bolted to the chassis. I have no FM reception problems..