Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

What to Watch for when replacing factory AV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 AMG - one of the last off the AMG line
What to Watch for when replacing factory AV

I have an 04 CLK 55 AMG I bought last month. It had Command APS - and a phone interface cable. My car seems to have a personality....

I bought a new Command APS CD - and bought the Merc Blue Tooth interface. Two days after installing the BT phone - my amp fails no sound, the Command APS screen tells me there is no CD changer (I can open the cartridge and load CDs)- and whilst the NAV works - there is no sound. The Telephone system tells me there is no phone installed, and the radio is silent - but tuning works. So the car is at Mercedes now and they are replacing the amp - the control module, and I think the Command APS. Cars in SA have a six year warranty so its all free to me, but thats not the point..... Before I start any new changes I want to ensure all factory components are working well.

What happened to make this break ? I ordered a new aftermarket system from Kenwood to replace the stock stuff. I then shut my laptop down and walked to the car - and bang no audio- the car is throwing a sulk

My question - is what specific things do I need to watch for when I get the system replaced: I am installing a Kenwood double din navigation and head unit - it will hopefully feed the Bose Amp onboard, and it has a stalk adapter for the steering wheel controls. I am not massively pleased with the quality of the rear door speakers in the CLK and will most likely have those replaced as well. I am installing a sub that came from my old car - with a separate amp to drive it to go in the boot/trunk. There is a fascia unit from Kenwood, and I hope to be able to use the Merc microphone into the blue tooth module of the headunit. I am also fitting a backup camera - which will be connected to a reverse light and the cars power.

Any one do this type of head unit replacement before, and have any experiences to share ? I will also have a merc brand new command aps module, cd changer, and european blue tooth adapter to dispose of if anyone is interested.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Your Bose amp is fed by fiber optics from the head unit. Copper wires from the Bose amp power the speakers. You cannot replace the head unit with a copper wire system without replacing the entire audio system (except the speakers, which you may want to do anyway because the Bose system uses 2-Ohm speakers while most are 4-Ohm).

You already seem to be prepared to replace everything on your fiber optic loop - including your handsfree phone system, voice control (if you have it). You will have to, of course.

See post #2 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...placement.html for some writeups; and Search the forums for some of the search terms you will see in those links.

What caused your system to behave that way? Addition of the new equipment. The fiber optics controller may simply need to be re-initialized (ignition on; main power off on COMAND or HU; ignition off - wait 2 minutes - turn everything on again). Some folks have good luck fixing such problems as this by removing the battery positive terminal briefly (which also causes a reboot of the system). Alternatively, a fiber optics cable may have become loose; checking the seating of all the fiber optic connectors may fix it. Any break in the fiber optic loop will take the whole loop down.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-04-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:43 AM

Thanks for your post !

I will re-check the seating of cables - thanks !. The main reason I want to replace the headunit is because the maps are no longer updateable in South Africa - Blaupunkt stopped making CD updates in 2005 when new mercedes switched to DVD. Where I live is changing quickly so lots of new streets dont exist, and the map coverage is missing from many places I go . Also the bluetooth kit is mediocre at best, no contact download,etc.

My new headunit is now delivered - and I am installing a backup camera- a new amp with a subwoofer in the trunk, etc. The headunit also comes with Bluetooth module installed as well.

Do you know where the Bose amp is installed in the car ?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I am only guessing that the amp is in the same location as in U.S. specification cars - you can see pics in the phone bulletin at http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm
Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 AM

Thanks -- I posted to my project thread that I found the amp in the rear right hand side of the car (US passenger side)
Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 AM

1996 SL320
Hi Fred

Where in SA are you? - I might be interested in your 'old' HU - just need to check compatibility with 02 C32... How much are you looking for?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 PM

CLK 320
2005 CLK 320 Audio 20 Replacement Headunit

Originally Posted by Skylaw
Your Bose amp is fed by fiber optics from the head unit. Copper wires from the Bose amp power the speakers. You cannot replace the head unit with a copper wire system without replacing the entire audio system (except the speakers, which you may want to do anyway because the Bose system uses 2-Ohm speakers while most are 4-Ohm).

You already seem to be prepared to replace everything on your fiber optic loop - including your handsfree phone system, voice control (if you have it). You will have to, of course.

See post #2 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...placement.html for some writeups; and Search the forums for some of the search terms you will see in those links.

What caused your system to behave that way? Addition of the new equipment. The fiber optics controller may simply need to be re-initialized (ignition on; main power off on COMAND or HU; ignition off - wait 2 minutes - turn everything on again). Some folks have good luck fixing such problems as this by removing the battery positive terminal briefly (which also causes a reboot of the system). Alternatively, a fiber optics cable may have become loose; checking the seating of all the fiber optic connectors may fix it. Any break in the fiber optic loop will take the whole loop down.

Do I have to do the same thing with my 2005 CLK 320? Does the Audio 20 have fiber optics that would need to be replaced if I were to install an aftermarket double DIN headunit? I'm debating between the Alpine and Kenwood units. From the research I've gathered (which is very minimal), I've seen wiring harnesses from the UK available for some models. Would I be able to pull off an install by simply using a wiring harness and a double DIN faceplate?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 AM

I went for the Kenwood (8220) us 8120 - I love the headunit, and it fits nicely and has good nav software.

I am not sure about the Audio 20 headunit - it depends on whether its connected to an amplifier - or if it feeds the speakers directly out the DIN stalk. My gut feel is that it is also a Fiber optic unit - given the potential for phone interface etc is all fiber to the onboard computer. From the following link of its connection diagram: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...2321-w211.html it seems to be fiber out, for connection to a data bus, but also has the wiring for normal speakers directly.

If you have a "bose" sound system or Logic 7 etc sound then there is definitely an amp (in right rear side of the car in the trunk). Check your car to see if it has an amp - if it does the wires to the door speakers will be coming from there, if it doesnt - they you may be able to solder or buy a DIN connection adaptor module. I wouldnt though, and I would buy an AMP and run your RCAs from the front of the car to the trunk where you fit the amp.

If you replace the headunit, you will get by far better sound if you install an amp alongside it. You dont have to spend a fortune, but the speakers will definitely sound better with a 200-300 dollar amp rather than straight from a headunit. I didnt spend a fortune on my amp- but it sounds much much better than the Kenwood head unit alone.

Last edited by fredbaum; 04-06-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by antonofafrica
Where in SA are you? - I might be interested in your 'old' HU - just need to check compatibility with 02 C32... How much are you looking for?

In johannesburg - looking at 3500 rand given I just spent 2500 rand on a brand new nav cd before replacing the headunit.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:17 PM

CLK 320
Thanks for the info, Fred! I really like that unit too... Wished it supported video from an iPhone though. Still may get that one cause Alpine's unit's just have way too many things seperated (nav, bluetooth, etc).

With that unit, can you still use your steering wheel controls to change tracks and volume?