Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Bluetooth compatibility (MB vs. aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 e350
Bluetooth compatibility (MB vs. aftermarket)

What is the most compatible and best performing bluetooth puck for a 2007 E350? The car is prewired.

I checked specific bluetooth threads, but none compares the bluetooth systems.

Right now I have a RAZR V3, but I'd like to have the safest and futureproof bluetooth solution, as I'll upgrade my phone soon. Maybe to a Palm PRE or to another "modern" smartphone.

Thank you.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:17 AM

2006 ML500, 2007 ML320 CDI
I can't give you a comparison, but I do have the "Black" factory Bluetooth puck with a RAZR V9 and it works extremely well. The phonebook integrates with the Command and steering wheel control and Instrument display. I have an 06 ML500 with Command
Old 03-07-2009, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
dado11, this is an international forum. Having an idea of what continent you're on, or even which country you're in is helpful - since the cars and the cellular networks, and therefore the correct answer to your question, differ drastically depending on those factors. It would help if you'd go the the user control panel and complete your info.

The most recent and most flexible Bluetooth module for a U.S. specification car (your model year would have an MHI system) is part # B6 787 5878.

Again, for the U.S., check the AWS site, http://www.wireless4mb.com/, for phone compatibility. The site lists phones/firmware that have been successful after a 90-day testing period. If the phone isn't listed, its testing is either incomplete, or it did not do well. For non-listed "latest and greatest" phones, search the forum for the specific type of phone you're interested in, and see what other members have said.

You do not have to buy the phone from AWS. However, you should get one that has the listed firmware for that service provider. Cell companies don't give a darn about backward compatibility with car systems, so newer firmware than that listed may not be compatible at all.

And, as you probably already know, the RAZR V3 has a notoriously poor antenna. Bluetooth systems in the U.S. rely on the phone's antenna, not the car's, for network connectivity. However, AWS offers combo cradles for a very few phones that connect the phone to the antenna through an RF coupler, and also lets them be used as an undocked Bluetooth phone if connectivity (signal strength) is good. The combo cradles also permit charging.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-08-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:45 PM

07 e350
Very good point... I'm in the US.

That's very complete information, Skylaw - thanks a lot.

I saw the BT module on the AWS site... is that an official MB product or third party? Would it then be better to get a pre-wired car rather than one with the BT module installed, since it'll be newer this way?

Or would you even buy a car that isn't prewired, for what that matters?

So hard to find info about this issue.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
AWS is Mercedes' partner for handsfree communication. The cradles and pucks are the same that you would buy from the dealer.

Pre-wired means only that the wiring harnesses are present to enable installation of the full handsfree components (except the cradle or puck) in an MHI-equipped car. To get a car with all but the cradle (for plug-in phones) or a puck (for bluetooth) or a combo unit (an hybrid, operates as Bluetooth but lets you plug in a phone - for a very limited number of phones) you need the "Handsfree" option, not just prewiring. At least, that was true through '06 - I'm not certain about '07 and '08 ('09 comes with Bluetooth standard).

If a car lacks prewiring, it lacks everything needed for a phone system. Adding the harnesses requires removing seats, and is a very expensive proposition.

Look very closely at what you are getting.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
i'd say for the money that is going to cost you to get your OEM setup for bluetooth it would be cheaper to go aftermarket.

plus you get all these features too for far less money than getting your OEM setup for just bluetooth: no nav disk, dvd in motion, better quality navigation, ipod hookup.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki Burgman Executive
I had a parrot system installed by Loeber Motors in Chicago for my ML500 and it works great!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:25 AM

SL
I dont know if anyone had trouble pairing the Bluetooth modules.
But this link helped me

http://mercedes-benzbluetooth.blogspot.com/