Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

What is the best way to get outputs for an Amp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
What is the best way to get outputs for an Amp?

I have a 2006 C230 and I just have what I believe is the standard radio. I know it is not the Harmon Kardon unit. I'm happy with the way the radio sounds, but I would like to add a subwoofer to add some bass so I don't blow the factory speakers (I only have the bass set at 6 of 10, but I know stock speakers aren't designed for bass). I don't listen to rap music, but I do like to have some decent bass. I just need to know what is the best way to get some outputs from the stock radio for an amp. Are there any interfaces that will give me RCA outputs like on a Chevrolet? If not, what can I do? I haven't really looked at the radio in the car that much, but I know it is far from ideal to just run some wires from the rear speakers to run the amp so that's why I'm asking this question. I did a quick search, but I didn't find what I was looking for.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by 91RS
I have a 2006 C230 and I just have what I believe is the standard radio. I know it is not the Harmon Kardon unit. I'm happy with the way the radio sounds, but I would like to add a subwoofer to add some bass so I don't blow the factory speakers (I only have the bass set at 6 of 10, but I know stock speakers aren't designed for bass). I don't listen to rap music, but I do like to have some decent bass. I just need to know what is the best way to get some outputs from the stock radio for an amp. Are there any interfaces that will give me RCA outputs like on a Chevrolet? If not, what can I do? I haven't really looked at the radio in the car that much, but I know it is far from ideal to just run some wires from the rear speakers to run the amp so that's why I'm asking this question. I did a quick search, but I didn't find what I was looking for.
I have a factory MBZ BOSE system and I added one 12" JLAudio sub and 500/1 mono amp for bass. If you can access the rear speaker from inside the trunk than just tap into one of the speaker line. My JL Audio amp can take HI or Low level input and it also have remote sensing so no need to run an amp remote wire. Battery is right under the rear seat so no need to run long wires. Work out pretty good
Old 03-19-2009, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does my car have Bose or is that just what MB used before going with Harmon Kardon? My battery is under the hood, so I'll have to run a power cable down the car and into the trunk.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I'm going to need a way to get good RCA outputs. The amp I have doesn't have hi level inputs. I'm also going to need a remote wire.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
If your car has a Bose system, it will say "Bose" on the speaker grilles.

You can insert a step-down (aka "matching") transformer between the OE amp's speaker outputs and your sub's amp's low-level inputs. While I wouldn't let Best Buy or some other big-box store touch my car, they can certainly sell you the component. A search of the forum on "Bass" or "Subs" or "Sub woofer" will get you more info, and perhaps some brand names.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-21-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's what I thought. I don't have Bose or Harmon Kardon then. I know what you're talking about, I have a similar product installed in my Trailblazer. I added a factory navigation Bose radio and used the adapter that took the radio's low-level outputs and turned them into 2 RCA outputs.