Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

JL Subs: 10w6v2 vs. 10w3v3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A4, M3, 996, E55
JL Subs: 10w6v2 vs. 10w3v3

Thinking about putting a sub / amp combo in the E55. I've generally used Rockford Fosgate stuff in the past but I'm thinking about switching it up and going with JL Audio this time.

My question has to do with the comparison of these two subs. Clearly the w6 is a better unit but is also going to require nearly twice the power to run it cleanly and I'm wondering if it's overkill for what I'm trying to do. (suppliment the factory HK with a little more bass). I've already ruled out the W7 subs as complete overkill.

Just curious if anyone has real world experience between these two subs that they might be able to provide input.

Andy
Old 03-25-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230 SS
what kind of amp are you planning on using? The w6v2 has better sound quality in my opinion. I have used both and it all depends on the box and amp used. ive had the w6v2 for 3 years and it was in a daily driver and occasionally entered competitions with but you do need alot of power to run it. I've also had the w3v3 for 2 years and love it. less power to run it and in a good ported box it can be up there. Again depends on what you want to achieve. Both are good subs
Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A4, M3, 996, E55
I was planning on using a JL Slash 500/1 if I went with the w6 or a slash 250/1 with the w3

Just for personal enjoyment and I don't plan on changing any other components to the stock system already in the car as I think the factory system does an OK job with the mids and highs. I'd just like to be able to pull some of the bass from the factory speakers and rely on an aftermarket setup in the trunk for that additional bass I'm looking for.

**edit**. If it makes any difference I'd like to keep the enclosure as small as possible in the trunk. I'm thinking a 1 cubic foot ported box is likely what the sub will be placed in. I'm a big fan of ported vs. sealed boxes.

Last edited by AudiOn19s; 03-25-2009 at 02:18 PM.