Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Do i need anything special to hook up a amp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2000 S430, 1999 E 320, 2 K5 blazers,
Do i need anything special to hook up a amp?

Hey everyone,

I am wanting to install a amp in my 2000 S430, and i was told that i needed a special part to hook up a amp to my car because it has fiber optic cables? is this true or is the guy at the shop trying to rip me off?

Thanks for any advice
Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 307 Likes on 226 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by ebolick
Hey everyone,

I am wanting to install a amp in my 2000 S430, and i was told that i needed a special part to hook up a amp to my car because it has fiber optic cables? is this true or is the guy at the shop trying to rip me off?

Thanks for any advice
Yes, the amp is controlled by a proprietary fiber optic network called D2B. It also has special audio equalization to match the Bose speakers throughout the car. Unless you're ripping out the entire sound system and replacing it, including the head unit, only the stock Bose amp will work.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Whoover is correct. Some folks will use matching transformers to step down the high-wattage output from the Bose subwoofer output, and install an amp and a different sub. I haven't done it (I would like "tighter" bass) - but aside from some who have been happy with that approach, it would be a full system replacement, including your phone, CDC, voice control, nav system, and all of the audio - basically, anything on your fiber optic loop.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2000 S430, 1999 E 320, 2 K5 blazers,
I hate to sound like one of those guys who cant search the forum on there own but i am not finding anything on transformers, do you by chance know of a thread that his instructions or a link on how to do it?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2009, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S430
A simple hi-lo converter should work...it worked just fine for me..i just connected it to the factory sub wires coming from the Bose amp in the trunk and im not having any issues
Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I gave verbiage that describes the actual device; bigbodybenz02 is correct - it's any device, regardless of its name, that will step down a high wattage output to a low wattage input.

If you search this forum with "bass" or "subs" or "sub woofers" you'll find lots of reference, often by brand name.

Some amps or subwoofer amp/combo units have high level inputs that make the step-down unnecessary.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 307 Likes on 226 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
To be clear: we're now talking about adding a separate amplifier for a new subwoofer, not replacing the Bose amp that's integrated with your COMAND and would continue to drive most of the speakers throughout the car.

Since most amps are meant to receive a low-voltage signal from an audio headunit (really a preamp), they would be overdriven by the high voltage, already amplified, signal you can easily tap at your existing Bose subwoofer. However, there are amplifiers that are designed for such installations. And there are simple converters to drop the voltage to a level appropriate for a regular amp.

The buzzword is "speaker-level input." You need an amp with a speaker-level input, or a matching device (which could go by a lot of names, as you've seen on this thread) to simulate a speaker-level input amp.

I suggest you google "speaker level input" for more information.