Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Audiophiles, I'm replacing w211 center speaker with higher ohm aftermarket speaker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audiophiles, I'm replacing w211 center speaker with higher ohm aftermarket speaker

I was wondering if any of you audiophiles might be able to assist me. My center speaker in my w211 is blown. The overpriced speaker is $80 at mercedes. And I just can't get my self to spend that much on this crappy speaker . It's a 3.5 inch speaker with 1.5 ohm. A very awkward setup. I was wondering if it would be possible to replace it with a 3.5 inch speaker that has 2 ohm(which I have found at about $20) or even a 4 ohm. I mean regardless of what type of speaker is there..the amount of power being used would be the same right? Wouldn't the higher ohm speaker even be better since it's running more efficiently? How different would sound be?

I know I also will run into size of the magnet on the speaker however.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 AM

SLK350
Efficiency and impedance are not related in the way you have mentioned. You can't simply replace them the 1.5 ohm with the 2 ohm without knowing what other speakers are in the circuit.

If it was the only one, it would draw less current than stock and end up quieter. That said there isn't a huge difference at just 0.5ohms, so I'd say do it. I have changed at a cost of 0.75 Ohms in the past and only noticed an improvement. $20 does sound a little too cheap for what I'd call a decent speaker!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:39 PM

Well the speaker is off of ebay and I think org. its about 50 dollars..pretty sure its a good speaker(and if its not, I'm almost certian its better than the crap i had in my dash stock).
Maybe I have it backwards..but I thought power got pushed out to the speakers..so if whatever power that was getting pushed to the 1.5ohm stock speaker..the 2ohm would also get. So why would other speakers in the circuit matter? Unless I misunderstood and the speakers actually draw power.

Originally Posted by Adamantium
Efficiency and impedance are not related in the way you have mentioned. You can't simply replace them the 1.5 ohm with the 2 ohm without knowing what other speakers are in the circuit.

If it was the only one, it would draw less current than stock and end up quieter. That said there isn't a huge difference at just 0.5ohms, so I'd say do it. I have changed at a cost of 0.75 Ohms in the past and only noticed an improvement. $20 does sound a little too cheap for what I'd call a decent speaker!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 PM

SLK350
all electrical components with reistance or impedance (resistance as a function of frequency) draw power.

They don't just take what the battery wants to give, if that were the case, then when you connect your car battery to a 12v flashlight bulb it would draw the same power as your starter motor and drain the battery in the same time - this is obviously not the case.

The higher the resistance, the less current flows, which means the longer it takes to drain the battery of its charge.

By the way, the power in the circuit is the current flowing mulitpled by the voltage, so higher resistance = lower current = lower power.

Anyway, if you connect one speaker in parallel with another, the effective resistance (strictly speaking impedance) seen by the battery is lower so more current flows through the parallel circuit.