Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Comand Shutdown

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211-(E240)-2004
Comand Shutdown

Hi,

I have a w211 2004 with a Comand and a nivigation, i have noticed that several times that the front Unit sometimes shutdown suddenly, and i have to wait around 30 Minutes or more then i can switch it ON again.

Yesterday i ave the same problem, but the Head Unit dosn't come up, also noticed that i can't get the Nivigation DVD out of the tray.

Could it be that the Audio Gateway is having trouble, i have tried to reset it by taking the Fuse out, but nothing happened.

Any Advice
Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, 08 S63, 09 GL450
I was really hoping to find a response here as my COMAND went through similar mometary shutdown-startup cycles (2-3 seconds) for a few days and then suddenly will not startup past the flash AMG logo.

Hope someone has ideas...
Old 05-23-2009, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
There are several possible reasons for these issues. It could be an AGW issue but I would not expect that from a 2004 car, always useful to check if an update exists anyway.

It could be the Comand head unit SW that needs to be updated. Do you have the ETA shown on the display during navigation? If not, you are lacking some significant updates.

It could be an issue with the navi processor if the DVD is anyway stuck. Or it could be some loose connectors, specifically fibre.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
I had the same symptoms with the Command unit on my 2003 SL. There were two issues:

- Old software
- Previous owner had spliced an RF switch into the antenna line

The dealer flashed new software and removed the RF switch and the unit has been stable ever since.

There's no particular reason you car would have an RF switch but some of the equipment that connects to the Command unit (e.g. the antenna amplifiers) could be causing the same problem.

My advice would be to have the Command-related systems examined through Star Diagnostics to make certain you have the most current software loaded and to see if any specific modules are generating recurring fault codes.

HTH....