Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

need a little more bass, a sub in the rear deck of a 2005 C230?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
need a little more bass, a sub in the rear deck of a 2005 C230?

I would like a little more bass, so i'm thinking of putting a sub in the rear deck of my car. I've searched and i haven't found anyone who has done this with the exact car. First off, i'm not looking to boom, just want some clean sounding bass to help fill in the sound. It's been years since i've really done any audio stuff, so hopefully you guys can help me out.

Im thinking of using a 10" I dont really want to use a box, so the rear deck is most likely the best option. I was looking into using an IB sub, any thoughts on this?? I would have to cut out the spot on the rear deck so the sub hangs in the trunk?? I know some people have done this on other cars, i would like to hear what you guys think?

Also do you have any IB sub / amp suggestions?

Right now i am running a Kenwood DNX8120, im doing the sub more for my movies than anything. I am going to run the front and rear door speakers off the hu.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
JL Audio makes nice subs,and if you searched you'd probably find the one you're looking for. I got two 12's in my car,and while it's overkill,I'm the kinda guy that likes the bass to hit me in the chest ! Tell you what,I searched and got this for you...Good Luck

http://www.shopatron.com/index/1451.0.46299.0.0.0.0

Last edited by ruffrob; 06-05-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the reply ruffrob. I'm pretty sure there are lots of good subs out there, ill probably decide on the brand once i figure out how i want to do the actual sub. I'm still deciding between an infinite baffle sub on my rear deck or a box in the trunk. I'm sure i could get a box sounding good, but id rather not go that route. I really want to save trunk space and keep it as stock looking as possible. So i am hoping someone has gone the infinite baffle way in a w203 or any benz really. I havent found anyone yet who has, so im really wondering how it will sound...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
Thanks for the reply ruffrob. I'm pretty sure there are lots of good subs out there, ill probably decide on the brand once i figure out how i want to do the actual sub. I'm still deciding between an infinite baffle sub on my rear deck or a box in the trunk. I'm sure i could get a box sounding good, but id rather not go that route. I really want to save trunk space and keep it as stock looking as possible. So i am hoping someone has gone the infinite baffle way in a w203 or any benz really. I havent found anyone yet who has, so im really wondering how it will sound...
Hey I kinda new to this Area too and what do you mean by that ?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 06-05-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
i was curious about doing this awhile back, please keep us updated and take lots of pics of this project. sounds fun!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Hey I kinda new to this Area too and what do you mean by that ?

Thanks,

Andy

In other words "free air." You mount the speakers on the rear deck and use the whole trunk as a box, instead of actually building an enclosure. They make subwoofers that are specifically made to work this way.

Ive read good and bad things about this kind of setup, but haven't actually heard it in person or haven't seen it done on an MB, i just wanted to get opinions. I'm guessing since i'm not looking to boom, it should sound good enough.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sleewell
i was curious about doing this awhile back, please keep us updated and take lots of pics of this project. sounds fun!
will do... but i'm still not decided about this or just a box.. whatever way it turns out ill be taking pics...

what did you end up doing?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
there isn't a decent IB sub out there anymore. sure there are claims it will be great in IB, but it is just slop. JL has the shallow mount subs, you can build a slim box and mount it under the rear deck. I am sure you will give up about 6" of space measured from under the rear deck, but you will achieve a better sound. Or build a small fiberglass enclosure for one of the sides and drop a Hertz Mille 10" woofer in there .4 cubic ft enclosure. the sub rocks like it was a pair of 12" woofers and the best part is that the sub plays down low without trying self destruct.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230
It's been done with a box a few times:

http://www.caraudiomag.com/features/...enclosure.html
Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I am sure it has been done many of times. However, I think he didn't want to lose his trunk space like the photos in the link. Cargo area is precious, otherwise the vehicle manufacturers would be adding 4 cubic foot woofer enclosures to their vehicles instead of free air flat Bose subs
Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230
Switching to a pair of shallow subs and removing the amp rack would reduce the overall box volume obviously. I had a link at one point with a similar box installation using a single JL Audio 13TW5 in place of the factory sub, with a little cutting to the rear deck, the box was only about 4-5" deep, and left the trunk usable.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info guys! I've actually scrapped the idea of the free air sub and have decided to do an enclosure. Now i'm just trying to decide how i want to do it?? So many interesting styles. At first i wanted everything hidden and as oem looking as possible, but now i think i'm gonna go for a more showy style, but still small as to not take up much room.... if anyone has any pics of their sub enclosures, i'd love to see them...

Thanks,