Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Carputer in W220, feedback anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Designo
Carputer in W220, feedback anyone?

Well done some research and heres my ideas so far....

-Mac Mini running:
–Route Buddy
–Front Row
–Some sort of radio setup
–and Id really like to have a bluetooth phone integration but im not thinking thats possible.

-Lilliput 7" display

-Since the car had a Bose system im not sure how its all wired and my guess is fiber optics... if thats the case then ill replace it all with a new Infinity speaker system and run the audio out from the out port on the mac mini to an amp then to the speakers.

Anyways thats so far my basic planning... it would be nice to have a wireless card so I could have internet too but that costs $$. Im going to lose the NAV, PHONE, CD, and RADIO functions on the I/C unless theres some magic way to reprogram the I/C.

Itd also be really cool to have a backup camera.... Id have to have the camera powered off the reverse light circuit and an app on the mac that opens when it senses a camera is connected..... oh this is going to be a fun summer project if I can get the funds!

Anyways and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Yeah, it will fail completely! Hope you didn't spend a lot of time on it either.

8 or 10" xenarc which has the reverse trigger on the screen already... however it might be a liliput, it has been a while

forget the mac mini... it wasn't designed for the vehicle to begin with... then you want to add some software mods to make it work

This is what you want : YOUR NEED

I would say I done a few, but would most likely get suspended again for saying it.

Also you can do a Vmod click

hmmm I can do it with my eyes close... the mac mini is a joke... been there done that^2
Old 06-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Not spending near that much for something I can make work plus my experience in windows has shown me nothing but epic fails. I dont want to see the blue screen of death when im driving down the road
Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 PM

have you seen www.macvroom.com ? But ill give you that the first link is a nice integrated setup. I just really dont want to go down that path. What can you tell me about you experiences with the mac minis?

Last edited by cameraman123; 06-15-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
doom, not powering up... horible sound, control of sound, clumsy... reset pmu on one and recently the smu on another. I had it with that junk, trust me windows has its moments also, but out of at least 35 vehicle PC's over the past 2 years I have yet to have a blue death screen... or anything that I couldn't get to work flawlessly

BTW 98% of the worlds software is windows based
apple sells how many computers to what all the pc's are?
like not even a single percent worldwide... paleeze, I been through this with so many mac guys and gal, that I finally have to say it from the beginning... don't waste your time.

if you are going to replace the comand, then why not do something integrated?
sure it is an older vehicle, but it is an S class. If you can't afford to do it right the first time, then save up and do it right. there is no way a mac mini will even come close to the factory setup. You will not be bettering the vehicle either, unless of course you just want to screw with itunes.

this is not being directed as harsh to you either... it is just straight and to the point.

email me if you need any other questions answered
Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by cameraman123
have you seen www.macvroom.com ? But ill give you that the first link is a nice integrated setup. I just really dont want to go down that path. What can you tell me about you experiences with the mac minis?
Yes, and if I was to have a choice between that and the Porsche PCM3...PCM3 wins hands down!