Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

HK Subwoofer pinouts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HK Subwoofer pinouts

Hi all,
I have a 09 ML350 with HK sound upgrade.
I am trying to install a subwoofer box in the trunk and need the easiest signal input to my amp. I removed the plug from the HK sub and there is 4 wires going into a single speaker.
Can anyone help me to figure out which wire is what?
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:00 PM

E320
I believe your sub is a dual voice coil, which may explain why you have two sets of pos/neg wires going into your sub.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:45 PM

2009 Black C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dtv211
I believe your sub is a dual voice coil, which may explain why you have two sets of pos/neg wires going into your sub.
If you will excuse me for jumping in here, but if the stock bass speaker is dual voice coil, would you have to run both sets of leads to the amp inputs, or will only one set do the trick?

Again, SORRY and THANKS.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
you can get away with one if you are just paralleling the signal of the factory sub and still keeping the factory sub in it. If I were to ever do it that way, which I will never do...ever, I would build the input as a "Y" to the amp so both sides see the same signal even if the amp is a mono amp.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:47 PM

2009 Black C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jbondox
you can get away with one if you are just paralleling the signal of the factory sub and still keeping the factory sub in it. If I were to ever do it that way, which I will never do...ever, I would build the input as a "Y" to the amp so both sides see the same signal even if the amp is a mono amp.
Like a few others here on the board, I am a bit confused now.

I understand that you would NEVER EVER, keep the stock base speaker functioning. I got that, I would not want it either.

Maybe my question should have read as follows:
Should I run both pairs of speaker leads into the high-sensitivity amp inputs or will this create a problem?

Is this the 'Y" to the amp that you mentioned before?

It seems that if both sets of leads are seeing the same signal, that it would be OK. Or, is there an impedence issue with the two sets of inputs?

If not both pairs, then one pair to the amp and the other pair taped up and connected to nothing?

Once again, thank you.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
you can keep the stock speaker hooked up, I just never use hi level converters