Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (sold); 2007 R320 CDI (sold); 2008 ML320 CDI; 2014 ML350 Bluetec
audio upgrade

I'd like upgrade my current audio system.

Generally speaking, I'd like have use those days technology (Video, BT, Navigation...) and be able easy control it.

I spent days searching this forum and I cannot find solution where I can find success story with installation of aftermarket audio (Kenwood, Pioneer,...).

In addition, if I do installation of new device, do I need rewire entire car ..?

Please give me some light on this topic ...

S.

ps. my car is 2005 E320 CDI
Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
well it will be a bit pricey to do it right but an aftermarket deck can be installed. just go around and check the different makes and models of them first to see what works for you

then find a very good shop, best buy don't count, and have it installed. yes and no on the re-wire

there is an interface adapter from navtv but the last time i checked it was still experimental

I actually have one but never tested it... I'd have to try and find it... anyways that will let you go low level out to the adapter and it will plug into the MOST cable behind the front comand

technically everything is in the trunk... so you would have to rewire and extend the antenna cable to the front
Old 06-21-2009, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by jbondox
well it will be a bit pricey to do it right but an aftermarket deck can be installed. just go around and check the different makes and models of them first to see what works for you
I'd like find hear from somebody who already did it (installed the latest and greatest audio) and maybe learn what it could be good alternative.

So far, I read about some potential upgrade and potential problems but nobody did it. It could be because of price (ah, we are driving MB and price is no problem ). For every other car, I can find on Internet million options for upgrade but for MB is everything 'maybe, it could be ...'.

Can I get some info about installing Pioneer or Kenwood in above mentioned car ?

Thanks ...

A
Old 06-28-2009, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C-Class
Originally Posted by zemun1234
I'd like upgrade my current audio system.

Generally speaking, I'd like have use those days technology (Video, BT, Navigation...) and be able easy control it.

I spent days searching this forum and I cannot find solution where I can find success story with installation of aftermarket audio (Kenwood, Pioneer,...).

In addition, if I do installation of new device, do I need rewire entire car ..?

Please give me some light on this topic ...

S.

ps. my car is 2005 E320 CDI
If you want simple upgradation then you can either increase the amp or you can install a bass tube.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 AM

E320 Sport
For a 10 day old thread, this is the worst. ever.

Check this link-- 2 threads below yours--
https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/291144-aftermarket-upgrade-w211-comand.html
Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by samabhi126
If you want simple upgradation then you can either increase the amp or you can install a bass tube.
I want integrate IPhone, BT, MP3, Video, .... in one device (or system). I don't want buy 3 different systems and on the end of the day find myself speaking in mic what I run from glove box I am wondering if new COMMAND 2.5 could be installed on my car ? Or any experience with Pioneer system ...?

Sorry that I keep this thread open but I'd like do it or live with current limited functionality ...

A.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 AM

07 E350 (sold), 06 CLS 55 AMG (sold), 07 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 03 Audi RS6 (sold), 09 ML350
Zemun - First things first. Go to this site (or the site of your choice) OnlineCarStereo.com & choose a radio. Once that's done, look for some door speakers.

You should change out your existing door speakers if you're changing your head unit. It's the ohms. Eventually the door speakers will blow out your new head unit. I learned that the hard way.

Once that's done, find a reputable install shop (like jbondox said, Bestbuy don't count) to do the job. I have an aftermarket HU in my vehicle (07 E350) & I'm happy with it. (Thanks AMGFAN for your help)

Only thing I don't recommend is, Doing it yourself! I mean, I don't know what your capabilities are with stuff like that. I did my own install, but I had limited tools & know how. I started about......2 months ago & I'm still tweaking my system.

Good luck!

Last edited by Lou E350; 07-08-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Make it more legible
Old 07-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500/2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium
I've had both a Pioneer system and a Kenwood system in my other cars and both are good. Currently the word on the street is that the Kenwood system is the better of the 2. How much are you planning on spending and do you really want to swap out the Command system or are you willing to stick with your old Command and swap out the electronics? JL makes a product that they call the CleanSweep that will allow you to keep your current Command head unit and add multiple amps and speakers.

Again it's all about how much you want to spend. Seeing that you are in Canada, the pricing structure is going to be higher than in the states. Let us know what you decide and post some pics once you're done.

In addition, the blue tooth and ipod control can be added to your current Command with a Tooki(sp?) interface.

Best of luck to you ;-)
Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 AM

audio upgrade for 2005 E320

Originally Posted by garybc230
I've had both a Pioneer system and a Kenwood system in my other cars and both are good. Currently the word on the street is that the Kenwood system is the better of the 2. How much are you planning on spending and do you really want to swap out the Command system or are you willing to stick with your old Command and swap out the electronics? JL makes a product that they call the CleanSweep that will allow you to keep your current Command head unit and add multiple amps and speakers.

Again it's all about how much you want to spend. Seeing that you are in Canada, the pricing structure is going to be higher than in the states. Let us know what you decide and post some pics once you're done.

In addition, the blue tooth and ipod control can be added to your current Command with a Tooki(sp?) interface.

Best of luck to you ;-)
First of all, thank you for taking time to answer on my question ...
I am planning upgrade my audio and I don't have a problem if I have to pop in US (any good store close to Toronto) to do one day change ... As for spending money, I'd like see what my options are - I don't have any set limit in my head but once I get 'quote', I can make decision about if it is worth it or not.

On my previous car (Passat), I easily upgraded my audio but for MB it does take a lot 'if' ...

As for my upgrade audio, I am looking integrate Navigation, DVD, BT, Ipod in one device (or at least the most components) - I am not looking for just better sound. Do you know any such device (Kenwood, Pioneer,..) that it could work with MB ..I found a few Pioneer devices (it does the most what I am looking for but I am not if it is going work with my car). For sure, I am not going do installation (I am capable but it is more than just run wire through car door and plug it to receiver)

Also, my intention is to once start this thread and solve this 'problem' - I cannot understand that great car MB has so close and limited COMMAND system.

Please give me some light ...

Sasa
Old 07-10-2009, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I'd like find hear from somebody who already did it (installed the latest and greatest audio) and maybe learn what it could be good alternative.

So far, I read about some potential upgrade and potential problems but nobody did it. It could be because of price (ah, we are driving MB and price is no problem ). For every other car, I can find on Internet million options for upgrade but for MB is everything 'maybe, it could be ...'.

Can I get some info about installing Pioneer or Kenwood in above mentioned car ?

Thanks ...

A

I have done it, but I am not going to come straight out on this forum and say hey... I done a crap load, here is how it is done and this is the pricing. I can generalize the install process, because I do believe it needs to be done professionally, although 99% of the so called professionals suck, and the gear, look at crutchfield for pricing... it will give you a starting point. I would never discount anything personally, it is what it is

As far as labor, consider this, you would pay a MB tech $120-$150 or whatever the hourly rate is for them to diagnosis something that MB gives them the diagnostic and training to do relatively simple. Now, take a true professional shop which has to integrate and custom fabricate a retro to your vehicle, something that takes skills and time, it would be only right to pay more hourly... since there is no set guidelines and unlike a tech who just has to replace a part... the installer would need to fabricate... I understand that there are tons of hack shops out there... be careful what you chose

as for detailed instructions and to tell you how to do it, well it isn't going to happen from me with details. But I will say a good starting off point for the Kenwood/NAV install would start in the $2k range... I have seen a simple integration in the $8k range with Alpine and the DVD NAV, along with a simple new speaker set up and amp to run with it.

So I hope that helps you out and shines a little bit of more info on it for you... I did take your reply as trying to be up-itty and snooty, so I limited my replies for a few days until I could think of a nice way to word it.

The COMAND is what it is, rarely breaks and is reliable, you will not get the same results with today's aftermarket products which are built cheaply, just to make consumers happy.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:10 PM

I have done it, but I am not going to come straight out on this forum and say hey... I done a crap load, here is how it is done and this is the pricing. I can generalize the install process, because I do believe it needs to be done professionally, although 99% of the so called professionals suck, and the gear, look at crutchfield for pricing... it will give you a starting point. I would never discount anything personally, it is what it is

As far as labor, consider this, you would pay a MB tech $120-$150 or whatever the hourly rate is for them to diagnosis something that MB gives them the diagnostic and training to do relatively simple. Now, take a true professional shop which has to integrate and custom fabricate a retro to your vehicle, something that takes skills and time, it would be only right to pay more hourly... since there is no set guidelines and unlike a tech who just has to replace a part... the installer would need to fabricate... I understand that there are tons of hack shops out there... be careful what you chose

as for detailed instructions and to tell you how to do it, well it isn't going to happen from me with details. But I will say a good starting off point for the Kenwood/NAV install would start in the $2k range... I have seen a simple integration in the $8k range with Alpine and the DVD NAV, along with a simple new speaker set up and amp to run with it.

So I hope that helps you out and shines a little bit of more info on it for you... I did take your reply as trying to be up-itty and snooty, so I limited my replies for a few days until I could think of a nice way to word it.

The COMAND is what it is, rarely breaks and is reliable, you will not get the same results with today's aftermarket products which are built cheaply, just to make consumers happy.
I appreciate for your time and effort. I don't want give my car to first Car shop to try install new audio due to I understand it is beyond running wires through door and connect on back of dashboard.

I don't think (at least in this economy) somebody should pay 2K $ for installation - as you said, I can leave car up to 3 days in MB shop base on 100 $/hour rate. By that time, they should install it

I don't think that I am ready spend 5 grand for 'integration'. I think that any shop should have some experience in doing it and if so, they shouldn't charge as innovation (just labor

As I said, I expect that somebody share experience with real model and maybe price ...

Thanks ..

A.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
That was real model and real price, they are so many variables to what you would want to add to the new replacement head unit, Sirius, HD, iPod, USB, rear camera... all driving the costs up.

MB is not going to install it professionally because they do not have the first clue to what is needed to make it work, or to fabricate a part such as a face plate for the new screen. you can hand them a part that bolts in from the factory, but modifying that part to work different you are going to have them throwing a fit. (this is only true of 99% of the dealerships)

innovation charges, no I do not believe it should be charged like that. but some shops actually do a better job than others, a quick install is always a sloppy install with many corners cut.

For instance if I was to run new wires to the AGW (Audio Gateway) but it takes me 2.5 hours to do it because I removed your seat, sills, rear seat, and pulled up the carpet, sleeved all the wires in an expandable sleeve tubing (TEKFLEX) and ran them with the factory harness in the protective channel... you will be paying for 2.5 hours. could I do it in 5 minutes? hell yeah, but not like the above method, it would be just stuffed under the sills. I'd pay the guy 2.5 hrs

You also said
(ah, we are driving MB and price is no problem )
You also mentioned the economy, the economy shouldn't affect anything even if it is slow. Is the electrical company telling you they will give you money off your bill, hell no... you want a job done, it needs to be paid for.

Just some points... here is another one, you would want a 5-6 hour job done for under $500, when the same tech doing your vehicle could work on 3-4 others in the same amount of time doing OEM integrations and be making $5k+ of profit... something else to consider.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:10 PM

07 E350 (sold), 06 CLS 55 AMG (sold), 07 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 03 Audi RS6 (sold), 09 ML350
That was real model and real price, they are so many variables to what you would want to add to the new replacement head unit, Sirius, HD, iPod, USB, rear camera... all driving the costs up.

MB is not going to install it professionally because they do not have the first clue to what is needed to make it work, or to fabricate a part such as a face plate for the new screen. you can hand them a part that bolts in from the factory, but modifying that part to work different you are going to have them throwing a fit. (this is only true of 99% of the dealerships)

innovation charges, no I do not believe it should be charged like that. but some shops actually do a better job than others, a quick install is always a sloppy install with many corners cut.

For instance if I was to run new wires to the AGW (Audio Gateway) but it takes me 2.5 hours to do it because I removed your seat, sills, rear seat, and pulled up the carpet, sleeved all the wires in an expandable sleeve tubing (TEKFLEX) and ran them with the factory harness in the protective channel... you will be paying for 2.5 hours. could I do it in 5 minutes? hell yeah, but not like the above method, it would be just stuffed under the sills. I'd pay the guy 2.5 hrs

You also said You also mentioned the economy, the economy shouldn't affect anything even if it is slow. Is the electrical company telling you they will give you money off your bill, hell no... you want a job done, it needs to be paid for.

Just some points... here is another one, you would want a 5-6 hour job done for under $500, when the same tech doing your vehicle could work on 3-4 others in the same amount of time doing OEM integrations and be making $5k+ of profit... something else to consider.
Well said jbondox.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:52 PM

My point is to not cut anybody cost ...If the street price is 5K $, it should be take it or leave it. I understand that MB is special beast and it does take more time and knowledge to do it ...

I don't want continue discussion speaking about implementation. Let's first put a few models and I can check price. My problem is that I can find a few good models and get an idea about price but I am not sure if that model could be put in my car - if so, how difficult to do it ...

If I cannot get answer from you (without be protective about tech person), I still want be OK due to I am going need different answer from you
Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Before I continue... street cost... well street cost with a shop that works on caprices all day or are we talking about a professional shop that works on BMW's, Porsche's, MB's Range Rover's etc... I sure as shiet won't take my car to the caprice specialists.

Also the level of the specialist that is going to work on your vehicle.. start talking CAN and MOST and see where it goes...

Now for your answers...

this will help out!

http://www.bestkits.com/SearchResults.aspx?mk=Mercedes&mkid=22&md=E-Class&mdid=1191&yrg=2003%20-%202006

as for steering wheel controls Rob at MidCity, I have a Fiber optic interface laying around :whistle: Buy a Kenwood or an Alpine

There you go...
Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
If I cannot get answer from you (without be protective about tech person), I still want be OK due to I am going need different answer from you
zemun, perhaps you have figured out by now that jbondox installs high-quality audio in high-end cars for a living. There is no cause for him to write a book for you on how to do it - though his comments thus far (and throughout the forums) are accurate. As to cost - different shops will charge you differently - that's the bottom line. Jbondox controls his own prices - that's it. If you want quality work, you'll pay quality prices. And, the price will vary a lot, depending on how far you want to go with your upgrade, and how you want it to look.

And he is a real person who installs real systems in real MBs. You may not like his answers - but he has answered your question accurately.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
zemun, perhaps you have figured out by now that jbondox installs high-quality audio in high-end cars for a living. There is no cause for him to write a book for you on how to do it - though his comments thus far (and throughout the forums) are accurate. As to cost - different shops will charge you differently - that's the bottom line. Jbondox controls his own prices - that's it. If you want quality work, you'll pay quality prices. And, the price will vary a lot, depending on how far you want to go with your upgrade, and how you want it to look.

And he is a real person who installs real systems in real MBs. You may not like his answers - but he has answered your question accurately.
Thanks Skylaw ...

In my original question (first post), I just asked about model or some experience. I know that price has 2 components: price for hardware and installation fee. First of all, jbondox could give me some estimate due to he is in that business. I don't know about he got an idea to do installation for 500 $. My point was that it doesn't make sense to put audio worth 8K $ in 25k $ car. I am not cheap but cash is speaking many languages

I understand he could ask certain money for installation fee but also the customer has money (he cannot have 'bread and knife' )

If I cannot get answer here,I am going ask later but I'd like thank you for everybody time ...

A
Old 07-14-2009, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Zemun,

Come on buddy, I think everything was answered for you, what else would you like us to do, swing by, pick up the vehicle, go to the bank and make a withdraw, head to the shop and have it done?

Pioneer is nice, robot voice,
Kenwood is nice, Menu's suck and the new Nav has no HD/SAT support
Alpine is awesome but their cheap NAV solution, the BlackBird is known as the BLACKTURD

The reason I remain somewhat anonymous is this is for fun for me over here, not to deal with the pressures of being associated with audio on a professional level... I chose to post where I can help out off the record, per say.

Also it would be unfair to "some" of the forum sponsors when I call BS on audio related installs. And trust me, I will call BS on a drop of a dime!

So, what more can we do for you?

Have you researched the brands on the internet IE crutchfield like I mentioned earlier or did you just go whoring around for the cheapest price?

Have you gone down to your local audio shop and wasted their time looking at; and getting a hands on feel for the different features and brands? Just so you can go home and shop for the cheapest price.

How about look around for a competent shop? I know a lot of shops worldwide that could help you out with the installation, want me to find someone in your area so you can talk to them?

seriously, how much hand holding do we have to do? There is not a female on this forum that needs as much hand holding on this forum as you are requiring.

Anyways, your questions have been answered repeatedly,

If there is a more direct question as to the equipment, installation, operation, integration, or shop recommendation, let me know, I will do what I can.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Skylaw

Skylaw, thanks... but that info is supposed to be a super secret quiet information... How did you get the magic decoder ring? j/k

Again thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 08:16 PM

Zemun,

Come on buddy, I think everything was answered for you, what else would you like us to do, swing by, pick up the vehicle, go to the bank and make a withdraw, head to the shop and have it done?

Pioneer is nice, robot voice,
Kenwood is nice, Menu's suck and the new Nav has no HD/SAT support
Alpine is awesome but their cheap NAV solution, the BlackBird is known as the BLACKTURD

The reason I remain somewhat anonymous is this is for fun for me over here, not to deal with the pressures of being associated with audio on a professional level... I chose to post where I can help out off the record, per say.

Also it would be unfair to "some" of the forum sponsors when I call BS on audio related installs. And trust me, I will call BS on a drop of a dime!

So, what more can we do for you?

Have you researched the brands on the internet IE crutchfield like I mentioned earlier or did you just go whoring around for the cheapest price?

Have you gone down to your local audio shop and wasted their time looking at; and getting a hands on feel for the different features and brands? Just so you can go home and shop for the cheapest price.

How about look around for a competent shop? I know a lot of shops worldwide that could help you out with the installation, want me to find someone in your area so you can talk to them?

seriously, how much hand holding do we have to do? There is not a female on this forum that needs as much hand holding on this forum as you are requiring.

Anyways, your questions have been answered repeatedly,

If there is a more direct question as to the equipment, installation, operation, integration, or shop recommendation, let me know, I will do what I can.
Jbondox,

usually before I go look for price, I'd like get good understanding what my options are and base on that, shop for best product and install it with somebody that I am OK (it is usually not the cheapest).

I see that you are in that business and I don't expect you guide me for one model but let's me ask you what it would be the best value model from Kenwood and Pioneer (it is all what I am looking for). Along with model, please let me know if I need change speakers or not ...

I am not stupid to ask what it would be price for installation due to it is mutual and it could be shared ONLY if both sides agree about it.
I don't want pick good model and after that find out that it is almost impossible to put in my car. Sometimes is better spend more money on hardware and have less headache on installation.

If you have some shop in Toronto, Canada, I'd appreciate it ...

A.

ps. the entire above post is to give me a few models from Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine which it should fit my car
Old 07-15-2009, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Skylaw, thanks... but that info is supposed to be a super secret quiet information... How did you get the magic decoder ring? j/k

Again thanks
Ahhhh....deduction, after several years of reading your posts.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
LOL, yeah it has been pretty obvious at times
Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
zemun1234

I will get you a list, i have to run for a bit.

Derek, it is experimental until I toss it in LOL, and thoroughly test it and give it a seal of approval