Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

E320 CD Changer Magazine Empty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CD Changer Magazine Empty

I am getting the "Magazine Empty" error in the CD Changer in my 2001 E320. I did have prior issues with the "No CD Changer" msg, but I was able to adjust the wires so that issue went away and worked for a while.
Now the darn thing just keeps flipping (or at least trying) through the 6 CD's and then ulitimately comes up with nothing. Sounds like some sort of mechanical issue within the Changer.
Tried the "empty" CD changer trick a few times. Did nothing.
What are my options? It looks like a replacement is about $150 on ebay. Doesn't seem like a smart buy considering this is a known issue and will probably reoccur. Also I hate burning single CDs that only contain 15 or so songs. Seems like a waste when I could burn one MP3 cd with 10x the music. Are there any alternative CD changers that will plug into this wiring? Anything that will play MP3s? Is there a way to attempt to fix the worthless changer I currently have? I do happen to already own a Pioneer Cd Changer CDX-P650.
Any ideas and links to more info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by senorchewy; 09-07-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:14 PM

W203-4M W163
Yea, it's probably done then. The one in my wife's ML320 went in a similar fashion. I swapped out the cable that went to the changer and ran a 1/8 inch plug for an iPod which is way better anyway. Cost me about $20, took 15 minutes to install myself. Check my posts on some earlier threads. I gave links to instructions for various models, as well as the instructions for the ML. I don't have instructions for the E320, but I'm guessing you'll find them if you hunt around a bit. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 PM

I'm intrigued by the IPOD cable idea...if anyone has any experience with this please let me know. In other news, I was able to fix the CD Changer issue. Had to remove and open the CD changer and clean the gears. When I looked at the changer I could see it "trying" to pull the CDs out of the magazine, but it was never really doing anything. I opened it so I could see the assembly and then plugged it back in and saw that gears were not moving. Got a qtip and rubbing alcohol and gave it a good cleaning. VOILA! It works now. Still would take any sort of built in MP3 capability over regular audio CDs any day.