Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Best iPhone mount?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E250 (W211 E350 RIP)
Best iPhone mount?

Though I have BT & iPod integration in my W211 E350, I find myself using the iPhone not infrequently while driving. I usually stick the phone in the ashtray or in a cupholder, but neither is a terribly good location (and neither makes it convenient to see the screen).

I've seen two devices which seem to be reasonably good solutions:

The Arkon IPM 121, which is a lighter socket holder, which would put the phone approximately at the passenger's left knee (LH drive). See product page

The Panavise 75128-403, see the PDF product sheet (this is just a mount, which requires an additional phone holder).

The Arkon is appealing because it's cheaper and completely portable. On the other hand, both the Arkon (and a competing Kensington) are flimsy devices which tend to break. The Panavise seems to be a terrific solution (as it attaches to hidden screws), but wonder whether it'll get in the way of my CD changer.

Anyone have any experience with either sort of device (esp. how robust the solutions are in a W211)? Comments? Advice?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 PM

W212 E250 (W211 E350 RIP)
I've now tried both.

The Arkon IPM 121 lighter socket holder is a complete non-starter. There's no way for it to be installed in the lighter socket and move the gear selector to/from P.

The Panavise 75128-403 is exactly what the picture shows: a nice bracket which installs via self-drilling screws to the inside of the front console (you remove the CD changer and screw the bracket on then put the changer back in).

Unfortunately, the "iPod/iPhone holder" sold by Panavise is useless for an iPhone -- it doesn't hold it very well and interferes with the volume & mute switches. However, the adapter (between four hole standard bracket configuration and the T-slot/slide connector for the iPod holder) worked terrific for connecting the Panavise bracket to the Arkon iPhone holder.

This was a solution borne of the parts I had on hand. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the Panavise bracket, an adapter and a holder from a Panavise reseller (I bought directly from Panavise) because Panavise doesn't seem to have a product which will properly hold an iPhone.

I had some concerns before installing all this, namely that it might not be strong enough to hold the phone firmly, might interfere with the CD changer door, or might be so far away from me that I'd be hard to see or use while driving. I had none of these problems.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
IMHO the best solution is the iPod cradle provided by Mercedes.

http://www.comandonline.co.uk/produc...cat=252&page=1
Old 10-07-2009, 10:51 AM

2006 R350
Best Mount....

I like the KUDA mount and iPhone pass Through Swivel holder.

http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_an...06-25-461.html

http://www.kudausa.com/iphone_pass_t..._***-1455.html

Very clean and functional. I have the cable for the charging of the unit hooked up to a iTronic Bluetooth and Iphone adapter for full OEM functionality.