Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Quick Component Speakers Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
Quick Component Speakers Question

So, I am looking for comps for my car. 6.5" with 1" tweeter. so i thought i found the perfect set for my car. I was looking at the JL VR650 CSi. According to the JL website, it comes with a 1" tweeter. According to the Crutchfield reps, its a 3/4" tweeter. AND according to the Crutchfield its actually a 6.75" speaker with the mounts. I called a local audio shop to verify, they agreed but said that they could make it fit--obviously.

So my question is 2 part. Will the speaker fit/ should i just look for an actual 6.5in one. and does the size of the tweeter matter? 1/4 of an inch. it doesnt make sense to me, but the guys over at the car audio shop said that they will. i was getting the feeling all they want me to do is buy their product and have them install.

OH and not sure but im looking between the JL audio and MB quart. the MB quart fits my car in specs wise perfectly, 6.5 in w/ 1in tweeter.
so what do you audiophile guys think?

ps i know its not the best set up.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
for the same amount of money get the hertz 6" component set up... the hi energy line... it pretty much decimates any other brand that it is in the same category, especially the quarts and JL's

www.hertzaudiovideo.com

they (Hertz and audison) truely only care about sound quality

I was very hesitant at first, and when they were performing better than the morels', dynaudios', and focals' I became a true believer.

also the parent company is Audison, which specializes in true sound quality amplifiers, and of course if you have the cash the Thesis line of speakers

I would never go with another speaker again.

as for quart, they are not really quart anymore, the company went through some transitions... again and again and now they are just run of the mill... which is sad, as I used to rock them back in the early 90's and compete at local sound quality events.

they are owned by maxxonics, who makes junk in my opinion... I am sorry... did I say make? I meant import...

plus some of the old quart people tried to get off another speaker line called German maestro... and I don't think it really went anywhere...

too many issues with that company.

I will let you know i am a sound quality person first, then conscientious of price second... or a close first.... haven't really figured it out... with the hertz, you get more than you pay for and it is not outrageous either

Hi energy line of the hertz is the best value line...
Old 12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
but im still wondering if the 3/4in tweeter will work. since i have a 1in tweeter thing in my car.

i'll look into hertz. gonna call them 2m to find a dealer, i cant seem to locate one around the sc, ca area.

but about the jl question, it says the speaker is 6 3/4. mine accepts 6.5. however the 1/4 of a difference is supposed to be on a mounting plate. which accordng to the install shop can be modified to fit my car? if i were to go for the JL, is it possible for a DIY kinda thing? or will the shop really need to put my speakers in for me?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
depends on how well you install speakers