Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Bose Stereo Speaker Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpina B7; Techart Grand GT; G63
Bose Stereo Speaker Questions

Does anyone know the size of the Bose speakers in the CLK (Front, Rear, and Subs)? Has anyone changed their rear deck from being subs to speakers? Those subs are garbage anyways, so I was thinking about just putting speakers there since the ones for the rear are shooting right into the seats and are useless. Does anybody know if the CD changer will work with an Alpine Deck? And finally, will the stock speakers work with a different head unit? I remember way back hearing something about the Bose system having separate amps for their speakers, but that the input signal to those amps is only produced by a Bose headunit, but that you could get a signal convertor or something. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but thanks for the help.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:52 AM

BMW 740iL
Does anyone know the size of the Bose speakers in the CLK (Front, Rear, and Subs)? Has anyone changed their rear deck from being subs to speakers? Those subs are garbage anyways, so I was thinking about just putting speakers there since the ones for the rear are shooting right into the seats and are useless. Does anybody know if the CD changer will work with an Alpine Deck? And finally, will the stock speakers work with a different head unit? I remember way back hearing something about the Bose system having separate amps for their speakers, but that the input signal to those amps is only produced by a Bose headunit, but that you could get a signal convertor or something. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but thanks for the help.

ok what you do is take the speaker out and measure it, to see how many inches it is. yes, you can put an alpine head unit in and still use your stock speakers. yes it will work if you get an alpine head unit with your stock cd changer. make sure you get the one the is compatibale with a cd changer. leave your stock amp to your speackers, then get another amp for your headunit and sub. i recamend you subs because it would sound 10 times better. get the alpine type r and if you have money get focal. ill get back to you on the head unit.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:21 PM

Thanks
Old 03-19-2003, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The issue with Bose speakers is they have a different impedance than most car speakers. Regular speakers are 4 ohms while bose are 2.something. I'm not sure if you must change the speakers if you change amps. Consult an audio professional.

If you have a car with the D2B fiber optic loop, the factory cd changer will not work with an aftermarket headunit.

The Bose system does have a separate power amp, while the standard system uses the weak amps in the head unit. You can use the Bose amp and speakers with an aftermarket headunit. You will probably need line level converters between the new headunit and the Bose amp. With an aftermarket headunit, the steering wheel controls will not work and the station info, etc. won't be displayed on the MFD.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:29 PM

Thanks Lynn

Thanks Lynn...I have a 1999 CLK 430...by chance do you happen to know if has the D2B fiber optic loop?

Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding is that D2B is on all Mercedes cars from the start of the 1999 model year.