Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Question about a subwoofer in a CLS55, help! Can apply to any mercedes....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Supra Turbo
Question about a subwoofer in a CLS55, help! Can apply to any mercedes....

Im looking to get a substantial increase in bass in my car. Im NOT looking to rock the earth, just want to feel the bass deep in my chest when I crank it up.

When I went to a local installer, they recommended NOT putting a subwoofer in trunk, stating that the sound would be extremely muted due to the sound deadening employed by mercedes. One thing recommended would be to remove to pancake speaker in the rear deck and replace it with a high end speaker, ie 'open air' variety - specifically Focal speakers. The price for this is substantially more than using a traditional box set-up.

Bottom line: Has anyone installed a subwoofer (with a box set up) in the trunk? Did you notice a muted sound or did you feel the boom? I know it depends on the quality of my subwoofer/box - Speaker is a alpine 12 inch type R with a more than adequate alpine amp. I had it in an acura TSX and it was way more than adequate.

Suggestions are welcomed!

Last edited by drdjdesi; 01-11-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I have a single 12" Blaupunkt Velocity DVC sub in a sealed box in my E55. It is powered by a 1200W RMS amp, which matches the RMS rating of the speaker(1200 RMS / 2400 Peak). It sounds good, but it is definitely waaayyy quieter than it should be. The sub pounds super-hard in the trunk, but all of the metal and sound-deadening kill it. This same sub with a 300W RMS amp in a hatchback pounded harder and was sharper than it is in my car.

With enough power anything is possible, but it's just a waste IMO to go overboard on power. I was thinking about going to 2-12's before I realized I would probably get more performance from 1 just by mounting it in the rear deck.

Just for fun I cranked it upm got out of the car, and shut the door Even standing next to the car, the only clue that anything going on was the sound of air excaping past the trunk seals. These cars are like tanks.