Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Install after market head unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
Install after market head unit

For a 2007 E Class, if I want to install a new after market double din head unit, do I need to purchase a stereo interface module? Since the stock one is using fiber optic. Where can I purchase one? I heard some others say, we can't use the stock speakers, if using the after market head unit, we need to replace all the speakers and add an amp to it. Not sure if that is correct.

Any help will be great.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:46 PM

07 E350 (sold), 06 CLS 55 AMG (sold), 07 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 03 Audi RS6 (sold), 09 ML350
That is correct! You would have to switch out front, rears & add an amp. Take your vehicle to a "TRUSTED" install shop in your area. They should have all you need.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER

Speakers are hooked up by wires, NOT FO. There are numerous threads on here where members did that. Please search.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:58 PM

2005 C320 Sport, 2010 C300 Sport
I installed an Eclipse double din DVD/Nav system in place of my factory system. The install actually took almost a day and a half of work but it came out working once power was properly being routed. I was able to maintain all my factory speakers as well. Best word of advice, go to a good audio shop. No mom and pop / "hey buddy" type shops. Do it right the first time and ask a lot of questions. The more they answer properly, the better you'll feel.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
If you currently have a Bose system, the speaker impedance is 2-Ohms, where most manufacturers use 4-Ohm speakers; most car amps (except Bose) are also 4-Ohm.

There are two problems using 2-Ohm speakers with a 4-Ohm amp. 1) A powerful amp may blow the speakers (or have to be kept at very low and inefficient output levels); or, 2) a weak amp may be blown (or short of that, easily driven to distortion or clipping) because of the low speaker impedance. It is possible to use 4-Ohm amps with 2-Ohm speakers, but I don't have any good specific suggestions as to power, and it is far from an optimal setup.

The other problem with using other than a Bose amp (or the head unit provided for the Bose amp) with Bose speakers is that Bose uses active equalization that is designed for the speakers, and is tailored for the specific type of car. The equalization curve for the specific car is programmed into either the amp or the head unit (it varies by car manufacturer). When you remove the head unit and bypass the amp, you do away with the active EQ; and the equipment you substitute may not be able to achieve satisfactory EQ for your car and your ears. That is why folks who replace their Bose audio electronics are often disappointed when they retain the Bose speakers, and this is not unique to Mercedes.

If your car has something other than the Bose system as OE, then you may have more satisfactory results when you retain the OE speakers.

Best thing to do is give it a try, see how it works out - but be prepared to replace speakers (or add a good parametric EQ) if it doesn't. As a hedge, you might want to consider buying a head unit a with very full EQ function.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-20-2010 at 07:38 PM.