Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

New system question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 4matic
New system question

Hello, finally got all my gear together and have dug into the install.

My question is about the signal processor. I have a 2010 c300 bought in US without the HK audio upgrade.
Does the factory head unit have digital out?

I had read that it does but after pulling the unit out it appears the amp is built into the dash unit and there is no way to get the digital output so I can use the D/A converter in the DSP.

The Audison Bit One I am using does have high lvl input but it would be cleaner I think to bypass one D/A and A/D conversion.

Thanks V
Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I guarantee you will not know the difference with the bit1 using the HiLevel in.

just run the 4 channel hi level inputs, set up as 4 channel in, and when setting the bit1, and when you run track 1 of the setup disk it will slightly fix a few bumps... but overall without the HK system it is pretty flat (thankfully) when I RTA'd the outputs of the comand it was 3db down at 30hz and 16khz. you can make the rest up with the bit1 EQ.

I have done the optical route testing a piece for a company and you hear noises in the optical input (tosilink) of the bit1 when switching sources... horrid. I am going to mention it to the audison engineer when I get done with the project, but otherwise it is pretty badass piece
Old 05-03-2010, 03:25 PM

c300 4matic
Thanks Jbondox, I will leave it at that then.
You answered another question of mine as well, hopefully. I had hooked the Bit One up using only the front stereo hi lvl out. Leaving the rear outs from the deck hooked to the rear speakers there is a noise in the system, barely audible but its there. Sounds like white noise increases with amplifier volume.
This may be coming from the source playing the rear speakers as well as feeding the DSP?

If I unhook the rear channel I guess I am going to have to get another amp to run all the drivers. Have my eye on a monoblock for the 10" sub-woofer anyway.

I should explain the setup better as it is right now, in case I have more questions or you have any suggestions. Here goes, The head unit is stock. Front speaker outputs to the Bit One, rear speaker outputs to the rear component set.
Rca outputs from Bit One to an 8 channel amp actively controlling a 3 way speaker set up front, 6"+3"+1"
The sound stage is pulled either left or right depending where you sit, an installer friend suggested a small center channel, so we put an HL 70 in center. and ran channel 7 from the Bit one setup for center channel. You can realy see the image slide to the center as we turn the gain up on this channel.
Unfortunately to keep this active setup going I need more amplifier channels.
So my next question would be can the rear speakers be run from the same center channel signal off the DSP?
I personally prefer to turn the rear channel off completely but I am not the only one who uses the car and the "other person" likes the rear fill.

Thanks
-V
Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
another bit1 would help and an amp

the 8 channel amp, is it an ADS?

anyways, all 6 channels out for the front to the amp, 7 to center 8 to sub of a different amp

set up front left door first, then right, delay is going to have to be considered as the rears aren't hooked up to the bit1... then start the center, it isn't as easy as it sounds to tune it correctly, otherwise everyone would know how, but get it sounding close to perfect with the ear is the best, then use RTA, and then tweek, then ears again. hiss is the gain structure, turn it down on the amp, use the bit1 input and output gain controls

... you can also use passives for the front and have some channels back to bridge a woofer

hope that helps
Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 PM

c300 4matic
Hello

Thank you for the tips Jbondox.

Yes the amp is an ADS 860mx, I bought it new in 96, had it refurbished in 2004. I am very fond of its sound and output.

I am going to take your advice and get another amp, alpine makes an efficient amp that should work well on the subwoofer.

As far as running the fill, I think it to be more cost effective for me to relocate the rear component set to the rear deck using the same signal as center. This is a compromise I am willing to make till a 10 channel DSP comes along =)

]
Old 05-05-2010, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I am sure it will sound great, that ADS amp was a great amp, I had one in 96 also but traded it in towards some phoenix gold sapphire series amps (12 of them)
Old 05-21-2010, 02:43 AM

c300 4matic
The new system works well, the OEM CD player integrated perfectly thanks to Audison's amazing Bit One. It retains all of the factory controls and there are no visible modifications within the cabin.

I would like to post an entire install log on it but I can only post 5 pics through photo bucket.
Does anyone know a photo hosting site thats better?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Any pics of the install?
I miss my a/d/s amp. I bought a PQ8 in 1990. It was amazing what a little 4x20 amp could do.