Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

How speakers are connected in 1986 300E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 300E w124
Exclamation How speakers are connected in 1986 300E

hey, im installing an aftermarket head unit on my 1986 300E with the 124 chassis, its got a becker model 754 head unit currently. The problem i have is that the becker unit has only a left and right europlug output which is then connected to an external fader located by the window switches. the head unit has 4 speaker outputs of course. So:

1. Where do all the speaker wires go and how do they connect into the external fader?

2. Would running just a front left/right into the europlugs decrease the power rating going to the speakers? (which i also replaced)

3. Can front/rear left and right be connected in parrellel and split at the fader to counteract question2?

ANYTHING would be helpful, thanks for your time

-Dan
Old 04-01-2003, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Your ideal solution would be to take the speaker outputs from the fader and hook them up the head unit's four speaker output directly, thus bypassing the fader.

You will need to unplug the fader, then run the speaker wires up to your head unit (unless your head unit's connection harness has long enough pigtail leads to reach the fader).

Unfortunately, your fader will no longer be useful. You may be able to purchase a new center console trim piece without the hole for the fader, but it will be an expensive piece to replace.

-s-
Old 04-01-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 300E w124
see, the problem is that none of the wires that run into the fader match the color of the speaker cables, plus the fader has 9 wires running into it, not one i can identify. i have no clue how that unit works *shrug*

-Dan