Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W210 E320 Wagon Head Unit Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320 Wagon
W210 E320 Wagon Head Unit Upgrade

Hello members of MBWorld. I have been lurking on here for a while and I finally decided that I would get an account and ask some questions that I been trying to answer. From the title I assume that you can infer that I have a 2002 E320 wagon that I really love. However, the stock audio I feel leaves something to be desired. I am wondering, what would I need to do to upgrade the system to something that has a few more features? I have browsed on Crutchfield at the aftermarket head units available, but I don't know how much of an adventure it would be to replace the OEM Becker with something that is more modern.

I am thinking something that has Sirius XM and HD Radio, as well as an iPod interface and Bluetooth capability so I can use my iPhone for integrated hands-free and finally replace the long expired TDMA Motorola StarTAC that is occupying the center console. I would also like to retain the steering wheel controls, but I don't know if there are any after market head units out there that would support a CANBUS input from a Mercedes. I am pretty tech savvy but I don't know if this system is way over my head. I would also like to inquire, can I really do any better than the stock system? I mean, it is a Mercedes after all. What would you guys recommend I do? Feel free to ask me any questions or if you can offer up any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

From post number 1 to hopefully many more!

Thanks in advance,

-David
Old 07-17-2010, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320 - RIP
hey David....enjoy the ride...and tunes....welcome, but let us know where you at, fill out your profile with some useful info about your ride - you'll get a lot more help.....

.....the stock bose amp is good to keep til you blow it!....the speaker may have heat/moisture damaged old rubber/paper components and the magnets may be rusted or have metal shards/particles stuck to them!....but again, good to go til you blow them - then replace with current technology: poly cone, ferrite core, liquid cooled, etc. as needed....just remember, the bose amp/spkrs run 4v/2ohm (standard is 2-2.5v/4ohm)!

....after lots of research into a quick/dirty/quality replacement of the hu without too much work and my specific requirements, here's what i ordered last week.... http://www.crutchfield.com/s_130P620...H-P6200BT.html ....i needed to have aux in, USB, BT and ipod DAC built in (optional Sat/HD radio/steering control interface available) ....just remember you need 4V preamp outs if you want to run the stock bose amp/speakers....or, if you end up ordering a 2-2.5v hu, you will need a 4-channel oe amp interface...... http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID.../productID/995 .......good luck!

Last edited by kbad; 07-17-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:43 AM

2002 E320 Wagon
Thanks for the reply. I signed in with my Facebook, so I didn't run though my profile to fill in details. Nice to see a Texan, hello from 200 miles down the road. I really want to get a nav system in there, but I don't think that there is any way to fit a 2 DIN unit without replacing my trim panel. Lots of things to figure out I guess. Let me know how your wiring adventure goes assuming that you're installing it yourself. Have you looked into keeping your steering wheel controls intact as well? I wonder how much of an adventure that would be preferred that you could actually do it.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:02 AM

2001 E320 - RIP
right on!....fellow texan.....yeah....better hotter down there than up here....not!....it's gonna be 99 at 5pm today!!

.....2 din is doable...all you need is the 2din parts, kinda pricey, but jy and ebay are great sources for used parts....see attached write up a buddy up in canada did...then it's plug and play.... here for some more links.... http://www.wfaw.net/index_files/gif_11.html
Attached Files

Last edited by kbad; 07-17-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:13 AM

2002 E320 Wagon
Oh man, it's been a scorcher. Thanks for that guide, it's amazing the things people have and all you have to do is ask. I will look around for the double DIN unit. Am I looking for one that was in a car with the COMMAND unit?
Old 07-17-2010, 12:28 PM

2001 E320 - RIP
hey David....hot enough yet!?!?.....try here for the trim and command with nav... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...fAudioQ5fVideo ....if you call'em up and let them know what p/n or hu model you need, they will try and locate it for you....

....mind you, the command 10 is a pricey part!....beware that the stock d2b system was discontinued after 02 and its components only work with a d2b adapted hu/system! ...see pic for d2b components...

> 2-DIN Cage: - 210.689.09.16 - $51.00 (from dealer)....available at worldimpex.com ~$40.00.... http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/merc...en_785605.html

> 2-Din Trim Piece: - 210.680.23.36.5400 - ~$75 (from online/local junk yard) - try http://stores.ebay.com/Potomac-German-Auto-Mercedes ....remember that some parts cross models and years, so look around different models in the same year span...
Attached Thumbnails W210 E320 Wagon Head Unit Upgrade-d2b-components.jpg  

Last edited by kbad; 07-17-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:26 PM

2002 E320 Wagon
Oh man has it been hot. Thanks for those links and pictures, invaluable info! I don't think I am going to go with the stock command unit, just a 2 DIN Pioneer or Kenwood unit. Thanks again for those resources.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:30 PM

2001 E320 - RIP
heat index of 105 here tomorrow....dang!.... i ordered mine here.... onlinecarstereo.com ....tried here too.... hookedontronics.com
Old 07-18-2010, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
my two cents
i would do the following, pioneer or alpine or kenwood double din HU. you can get any of the HUs with nav, ipod, HD, sirius, etc. Get two amps: 4 channel for the speakers. 1 channel for the sub. wire it with a pac stereo unit. dynomat the trunk and a couple other bits. As for the speakers its up to you as to which one would want to get.

i think that set up is much better than stock. if you listen to a lot of music and do the upgrades right, you will **** your pants after the upgrade.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:58 PM

2002 E320 Wagon
Wow, this thread is a goldmine worth of information. @bheng, I think that is what I am going to do. If I have the money for it, I will do a 2 DIN w/ Nav in one of those 3 brands, new speakers all around, new tweeters and X/Os up front, and a new amp for all of the speakers with a single 12 sub in the rear compartment. Should be the most bangin system on the block. What do you recommend in terms of new speakers and sub? I have heard Focal and JL audio thrown around a lot, but I don't know what price range I am in with those. I don't have unlimited money for this, unfortunately.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by David A Weiser
Wow, this thread is a goldmine worth of information. @bheng, I think that is what I am going to do. If I have the money for it, I will do a 2 DIN w/ Nav in one of those 3 brands, new speakers all around, new tweeters and X/Os up front, and a new amp for all of the speakers with a single 12 sub in the rear compartment. Should be the most bangin system on the block. What do you recommend in terms of new speakers and sub? I have heard Focal and JL audio thrown around a lot, but I don't know what price range I am in with those. I don't have unlimited money for this, unfortunately.
that is pretty much what i have. if you get a sub, i would suggest to dynamat or dampen the trunk or it will rattle like no other.

as for speakers, it really depends on the price range. i have heard a lot of members say to go to a car audio shop and listen to the speakers. but a lot of time, you wont be able to tell the difference right off the bat. the place i went to tried to trick me into spending bank at their shop by showing me how loud the focals can go. but the speakers on the wall will sound differently in the car. its not the same enclosed atmosphere. i would suggest to go listen to some low end ones and listen to some high end ones to get an idea.

but if you plan to stick on JL, hertz, focal, etc. all good speaker companies. it will take a couple of weeks for your ears to adjust to the sound anyways or so i hear.

do you have a budget?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
bheng, I really never heard the sale pitch of focals getting really loud before... the shop sounds pretty much out of touch.

I think for the money, the Hertz sound way better than the Focal, throughout the whole line and dollar for dollar you get more for the Hertz then the Focal

ears adjusting to the sound? I don't know what you mean there unless you are referring to switching up music styles like going from rap to symphonies

further. regardless of the speaker manufacturer, if you find a quality set, it all boils down to installation and not just filling the hole.

listening to speakers on a board at a car audio shop isn't the true capability of the speaker, unlike home audio/theater... car audio speakers are designed to sound better off axis then on. as the manufacturer knows most speaker locations are low in the door or on the rear deck... and they cater to the masses... as it is smart business
Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Also mold a sub enclosure in, single 10" woofer should sound phenomenal in there
Old 07-20-2010, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by jbondox
bheng, I really never heard the sale pitch of focals getting really loud before... the shop sounds pretty much out of touch.

I think for the money, the Hertz sound way better than the Focal, throughout the whole line and dollar for dollar you get more for the Hertz then the Focal

ears adjusting to the sound? I don't know what you mean there unless you are referring to switching up music styles like going from rap to symphonies

further. regardless of the speaker manufacturer, if you find a quality set, it all boils down to installation and not just filling the hole.

listening to speakers on a board at a car audio shop isn't the true capability of the speaker, unlike home audio/theater... car audio speakers are designed to sound better off axis then on. as the manufacturer knows most speaker locations are low in the door or on the rear deck... and they cater to the masses... as it is smart business
it was the only shop in the city. so i guess they wanted to sell the focals over anything else. they had many sets of focals and attempted to show me how it was much better in terms of how load it could go and how much cleaner the sound was compared to a mid range JL that they had on the same wall.

i am not sure about the ear thing as well. sorry to the OP but i read somewhere than like your ears learn to adjust to the different speakers sounds so right off the bat, you wont really tell.

but i concur, as long as you get a quality set, and do a good job installing them, its going to be pretty good.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM

1998 Mercedes Benz E320
Hey Guys. Am new here. Would there be a way to remove the Wood Burl Trim without unscrewing the screws above the radio? Bought the car with aftermarket radio without faceplate. Can't seem to find out to remove it. Please help.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
You probably don't need the wood out. Can you remove the trim plate for the aftermarket radio to see how it removes? You need radio keys to remove the heater controls. Look up how to remove the ashtray, as well.