Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Navigation tips??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class
Navigation tips??

So after owning my car for a weekend, I'm disappointed with the navigation experience so far. I'm assuming I just need to learn how to use it, but there are so many categories missing in the special destinations section (e.g. supermarket, Post Office).

Anyone have any tips?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by cooleric2000
So after owning my car for a weekend, I'm disappointed with the navigation experience so far. I'm assuming I just need to learn how to use it, but there are so many categories missing in the special destinations section (e.g. supermarket, Post Office).

Anyone have any tips?
If you do not mention your location and your car model year, I'm afraid there are closer to 10 different navigation devices we should consider (I believe two for the 212, four for the 211, a few for the 210...).
Old 07-22-2010, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I agree with Diesel Benz; there isn't much we can do to help without the information he requested, because none of us really wants to write a book covering every possibility.

However, there is one thing that carries through most of the nav systems, at least up to the hard-drive units. MB licenses its nav data and Points of Interest (yellow pages) from Navteq. The Navteq database for North America contains approximately 15 million points (and they are available on the Garmin portable i use in my '78 450SL).

But MB only includes about 3 million of them on its nav DVDs - which are only about half full. So, you can't navigate to a store that is outside a shopping center; but if you know a store is in a shopping center, you can get to the shopping center itself.n Or, you look up the address before you go, and enter it - and deal with the fact that you'll only get guidance to the block the building is on.

It's one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and buy an iPhone 4. It has a superb yellow pages feature (as do some other smart phones). I can look up an address and my wife can enter it into my nav system on the fly (which can still be done, since I have refrained from getting the latest firmware update that prevents that feature). I don't have to spend another $100 for voice turn-by-turn directions on the iPhone, and of course the MB nav display is better than the phone's anyway.

But it certainly grates when it comes time to update that $275 nav DVD each year.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-22-2010 at 05:23 PM.