Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Help! Amp tuning.. and some other questions Sorry.. may be a long read

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300E, 1995 C280
Help! Amp tuning.. and some other questions Sorry.. may be a long read

Right.. so I'm tired of going to my idiot car audio installer who is just interested in scamming people.. I had no choice back than, because i had NO idea about car audio..

Heres my system.. its a budget system but im a teen so bleh..
Head unit: Alpine 9887
Rear deck speakers: Infinity 529I (165w max) [2way]
Front deck speakers: Infinity 429I (150w max) [2way]
Tweeters - Some MB Quarts (Placed in back and front) with some MB Quart Active crossovers
Amp: Crunch Powerzone P5000.5 (1300 watts max? but i think its bs as most budget amps don't put their advertised power rating)
[I also don't know if he wired it good.. he put the power wires and RCA wires all to the passenger side? :/ I heard that your supposed to split them because of electrical interference] [He also put a splitter and a filter on the RCA's because I was complaining about an alternator sound.. but I hear those filter things kill your mid bass and make SQ]
Subwoofer Kicker L7W12 Solo Barric with a ground shaker ported box [I wanted a closed box, but my installer kept saying that closed boxes would sound like crap on the Kicker..]
No door speakers.. well I wish i had some but theres no hole for them.. so I'll figure that out later..

My setup for now.. amp/sub im probably going to sell later.. and go with an infinity basslink, and a small amp to power my speakers

Right.. so i bought everything in my car.. but i found out that my installer sucks.. i brought dynamat and told him to put it on.. the ******* didn't even do it properly.. he got a hammer instead of a roller to make it stick..

He didn't want to make custom mounts for my speakers in the rear so he just encased them in dynamat and tried to charge me for my own dynamat? *******..

I also learned he used some super cheap wires..

The guy assumed im just any other teen and he made the whole setup with just bass.. so i really have to turn up the volume to match them..

Right so I decided to kind of take the whole system apart, and do it myself..

but i look at the manual (the image above) and i was just like uhhh what the hell does this all mean?

I know i can look up high pass filters and low pass filters and what they do and all that.. but i figured im only going to get more and more lost..

The level I'm sure is to adjust power to the speakers and such..
the thing i was really confused about is what to set my Subsonic, LPF and HPF frequencies to because i am very confused.

I listen to basically everyday radio stuff, rock, pop, electric, hip-hop everything..

again my installer just assumed i like hip hop and just made it so the bass over powers everything

What frequencies are the bands set at for a good SQ system? I don't really care for it being super loud so that the cars next to you have to hear your music.. I just want quality.

Also, my head unit seems to carry crossover options as well... and it will probably have even more stuff when i get the software/microphone which i can hook up to my computer and it unlocks more settings (alpine imprint)

so how should i adjust those?

Now the other questions..
in the future sometime i want to swap my system out and help other people install theres..
How does speaker wiring exactly work? is it just copper wires to speakers to the amp?
And if the amp has 6 RCAs how does it work? is it 2 for the front, 2 for the rear, and 2 for the subwoofer?

if you do have speakers in the doors is it just one huge copper wire split and crimped to the speakers?

Anyone have alpine imprint and is it worth it?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
e gads, you really just can't say how do I set these... there are a lot of variables such as what are the tweets hooked up to, what channel on the amp powers what...etc

but for a start

do channels 1-4 on high pass at 80hz and see how they sound gain should be like in the picture at about 12 o clock position

sub should be on channel 5 but am assuming crossover is lowpass 80 hz and subsonic to on 20 hz gain at about 1/2 or like above. too much bass turn gain down, too little turn the gain up
Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320 - RIP
hey man....x2 Jbondox.... and it all depends on the "installers" wiring....never trust anyone to do it as well as yourself!....and the hardware, well.... "you buy cheap....you pay the price....you buy twice!".....always look for RMS watts, frequency response and harmonic distortion, that is the true output that the device can actually sustain and the range it can deliver in without saturation....when you compare the real numbers, the quality products will stand out....

...that said, and since you want to learn and help others, try here .... http://installerinstitute.com/
.....here for installer parts..... http://www.installer.com/ .... http://www.scosche.com/ .... http://www.metraonline.com/default.aspx

.....meanwhile, look here for info on your car.... http://www.auto-parts.spb.ru/cat/cat...&client=dr2000 ....good luck!