Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

M Class DVD Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C-Class
M Class DVD Install

What would be the correct procedure to upgrade/install the DVD unit for the COMAND system in a 2001 M Class? I heard once it is installed the dealer still has to activate it? Is this correct? Is it difficult to swap out the CD unit to DVD unit? And will the DVD unit work with the existing COMAND (screen) unit? Any other info would be appreciated.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:47 AM

ML 320
DVD NAV

Unless you changed to the Command System your ML has an MCS unit (Radio)
As far as I know the Command System doesn't offer a DVD NAV yet so I am assuming you have the MCS with a CD version of NAV. Changing to DVD is very easy. Just remove the MCS unit with the MB Radio removal keys and on the top of the MCS there is 4 or 5 screws to remove. Open the top of the MCS and unlpug the NAV plug on the right side towards the back of the MCS and lift up on your CD NAV to remove. Drop in your DVD NAV, plug the NAV plug into the DVD NAV, put the top of the MCS back in and thats it! Should take all of 15 min start to finish. I'm not positive but you may need to get your ML "VERSION CODED" from a MB dealer but since you already have CD NAV you may not need to do that. If you need to do that MB should not charge you.
If you want to see some pictures of the install you can go to:
MCS DVD NAV Retro fit with VSS into a 98/99 ML
If you have a 2000 + ML you won't need to do all the steps listed at the above URL but it may be helpfull for a couple of steps for you.
Hope this helps!
Old 04-18-2003, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: DVD NAV

Originally posted by Benza
Unless you changed to the Command System your ML has an MCS unit (Radio)
That's presumptuous. Only North American-spec M-klasse are fitted with MCS. Other locales receive COMAND.

However, COMAND is not upgradeable to DVD... so who knows?

-s-
Old 04-18-2003, 04:26 PM

ML 320
Re: Re: DVD NAV

Originally posted by scorchie
That's presumptuous. Only North American-spec M-klasse are fitted with MCS. Other locales receive COMAND.

However, COMAND is not upgradeable to DVD... so who knows?

-s-
Not really a presumption, more like a deduction.
I just took a look at his name and thougt, who would call themselves Jersey44, if he wasn't from New Jersey. Also, he was looking to upgrade to DVD and I didn't think that could be done if you have the Command System ... hence the deduction, North American Spec M Class
Speaking of the Command System, did you get that installed yet?
Old 04-18-2003, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Re: Re: Re: DVD NAV

Originally posted by Benza
Not really a presumption, more like a deduction.

I just took a look at his name and thougt, who would call themselves Jersey44, if he wasn't from New Jersey.
Isnt it "New Jersey", because when the first settlers arrived in the US they called towns/areas after their original UK places (ie Jersey)

Jersey is an large island between the UK mainland and France - its sort of part of the UK, but runs a different tax system etc.

I'll let a Jersey resident explain why it is/isn't part of the UK

R
Old 04-18-2003, 05:51 PM

ML 320
Re: Re: Re: Re: DVD NAV

Originally posted by Richard
Isnt it "New Jersey", because when the first settlers arrived in the US they called towns/areas after their original UK places (ie Jersey)

Jersey is an large island between the UK mainland and France - its sort of part of the UK, but runs a different tax system etc.

I'll let a Jersey resident explain why it is/isn't part of the UK

R
I'm not disputing anything to do with why New Jersey is called New Jersey. I merely made a deduction that Jersey44 has a North American Spec M Class due to his forum name being Jersey44 and he was looking to upgrade to DVD NAV from CD NAV and as far as I know the Command System won't have DVD NAV until 2004
What we are talking about is making a deduction, not the fact that New Jersey is called New Jersey because of an island between the UK mainland and France. I'm not saying he is not from Jersey, but the probability of him driving an ML on an Island with only 350 miles of paved road and looking to upgrade from CD NAV to DVD NAV would be extremely low as compared to him living in New Jersey USA (the most densely populated State in the US) and driving an ML which he would like to Upgrade to DVD NAV.
Have a Good Day
Old 04-18-2003, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Sorry ! - I didnt mean to imply anything

R
Old 04-18-2003, 06:19 PM

2002 C-Class
Just to let you know, Jersey is the name of the horse I own. I am from Indiana. Thanks for the replies!
Old 04-18-2003, 06:21 PM

ML 320
Originally posted by Richard
Sorry ! - I didnt mean to imply anything

R
Actually I guess I am thne one implying. Who knows ... he could be from Euro Jersey.
I kinda like the sound of that "EURO JERSEY" LOL
Have a Good Day
Old 04-18-2003, 06:32 PM

ML 320
Originally posted by jersey44
Just to let you know, Jersey is the name of the horse I own. I am from Indiana. Thanks for the replies!
Is that US Indiana or EURO Indiana
Did you get all the info you needed re: DVD NAV?
Old 04-18-2003, 09:13 PM

2002 C-Class
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the info, it's much appreciatted.