Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W210 (E320) CD Changer Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 (E320) CD Changer Questions

I have seen TWO brackets for the E-class (W210) CD changer. I was wondering if anyone here has the original MB changer with MB install kit actually installed in the FACTORY location. If so, can you please send me pictures of what it looks like installed? I have a few questions.

I have found the harness and have tested my cd changer. It works. I know that the changer goes inside the little "pocket" on the floor of the trunk on the driver side.

I have acquired a potpourri of brackets and MB logo dust covers but I want to know what comes in the factory install kit.

I can take pictures and send them to anyone who might be able to help me identify what needs to go where.

I know there are only two brackets made for this car and I have one of them for sure but it doesn't line up with the holes in the trunk. Which is the correct one?

Here is a picture of the bracket I have:

Here is a picture of the other E320 (W210) bracket:

Also, what is the point of this "soft case":

How would it be used in this installation? How would the cable get inside and how would the bracket mount if this soft case is used?

Is that "soft case" to be used with this "dust cover":

Any help sorting all these parts out is appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by Technique; 04-18-2003 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Like most things (and almost everything Mercedes), designs change throughout the life of the product. So you may see several different brackets.

Also, I am not certain about this, but it is my understanding that no CD changers were installed at the factory (on the W210). Cars that were ordered with CD changer are fitted with the changer at the local VPC, then delivered to the dealership.

-s-
Old 04-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by scorchie
Like most things (and almost everything Mercedes), designs change throughout the life of the product. So you may see several different brackets.

Also, I am not certain about this, but it is my understanding that no CD changers were installed at the factory (on the W210). Cars that were ordered with CD changer are fitted with the changer at the local VPC, then delivered to the dealership.

-s-
Yes, there are different designs, but I don't see how this bracket will fit into the small "wheel-well pocket".

I guess I meant "the location designated by the factory for the VPC".

So, anyone have pics of a VPC install? Or an install they did themselves using the factory install kit?

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2003, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
I'm also interested pictures of right installation. I found only one place where could I install it. However, it doesn't fit well.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by Dema
I'm also interested pictures of right installation. I found only one place where could I install it. However, it doesn't fit well.
Is that a picture of your installation? I believe that is the EXACT factory/VPC location. What do you mean it "doesn't fit well"? Can you tell me which bracket you have?
Old 04-21-2003, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The OEM intended location in a W210 has about 3-4" of the changer protruding above the floor of the trunk.

-s-
Old 04-21-2003, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Technique
Yes, there are different designs, but I don't see how this bracket will fit into the small "wheel-well pocket".
In your pictures, the first bracket is intended for later model W202/W208. I am not sure if this bracket was ever intended for use in W210.

The second bracket is used in W210 (in all cases I've seen). Note how the changer will protrude significantly above the floor of the trunk.

-s-
Old 04-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by scorchie
In your pictures, the first bracket is intended for later model W202/W208. I am not sure if this bracket was ever intended for use in W210.

The second bracket is used in W210 (in all cases I've seen). Note how the changer will protrude significantly above the floor of the trunk.

-s-
Thanks for the great information scorchie!!! One question though, is there any benefit to having the changer protrude a few inches above the floor of the trunk?
Old 04-21-2003, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
I have a bracket as on first of your pictures, probably it's the cause why I'm not happy with this installation. Than lower changer is installed than it's better, because you can have difficulties to extract a magazine and insert it back unless you have enough vertical clearance. I also couldn't find matched holes for by bracket, and needed to drill new ones.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by Dema
I have a bracket as on first of your pictures, probably it's the cause why I'm not happy with this installation. Than lower changer is installed than it's better, because you can have difficulties to extract a magazine and insert it back unless you have enough vertical clearance. I also couldn't find matched holes for by bracket, and needed to drill new ones.
Hmmmm, I don't know if I quite understand what you are saying. Do you mean that it is better if the changer is lower? I think the other bracket (the second one in the pictures) places the cd changer higher up, elevated a few inches. The first bracket will make it as low as possible, so if you want it low then that's the best bracket for you.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
You understood right, however even with 1st type o f bracket it isn't lowered enough. The perfect fit could be if a changer face is on a trunk floor level. I heard that new changers are much smaller, and probably exists 3rd type of bracket for them.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Almost a Member!

OK, I was looking around and found this part number:

210 820 25 14

It should be JUST for the bracket, and not the $80 installation kit. Can someone please confirm this and maybe find a picture of which bracket this is? I'm hoping it's the first bracket pictured in this thread.

Thanks!