Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

some kicker and amp advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
some kicker and amp advice

So i got this kicker 2010zx750.1 amp brand new cheap 200 bucks ..
its rated 375 4 ohms 750 watts 2ohm ..

I was only gonna run one speaker and can't decide if 10 inch L7 will be enough or should i get the 12 inch L7 just to be safe ..

Also should i get the speaker in 4 ohm or 2 ohm ..

Also is the zx750.1 too much for a 10 inch L7 rated at 600 watts rms 1200 total while the 12 inch L7 rated for 750rms 1500 total

Thanks cant make up my mind which speaker to get and which ohm setup togo with ..
Old 09-19-2010, 11:37 PM

07 S550 & 05 SL55
amp and sub match up fine together just keep it easy on the gain
the 12 should handle a bit more power too
if u buy the L7 get it in the dual 4 ohm configuration and wire it in parallel

personally id run the 12 buts thats just me both will give u more than enough bass.

the deciding factor will be what trunk space you will giving up. also the enclosure will be the real deciding factor on how the sub will perform.

there are plenty of options but kickers website should have some suggested boxes as well
Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by YamiFanatic
amp and sub match up fine together just keep it easy on the gain
the 12 should handle a bit more power too
if u buy the L7 get it in the dual 4 ohm configuration and wire it in parallel

personally id run the 12 buts thats just me both will give u more than enough bass.

the deciding factor will be what trunk space you will giving up. also the enclosure will be the real deciding factor on how the sub will perform.

there are plenty of options but kickers website should have some suggested boxes as well
thanks alot
the speaker is question would be
Subwoofer Part Number: S12L72
Dual 4 ohm voice coils pre wired to run @ 2 ohms
2 Ohm Final Impedance

since its prewired would that be ok ?
and had ppl tell me to get a capacitor . do i really need one ? The shop doin the install suggest 4Gauge wiring . Is that enough ? Thanks bro
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG Cabrio 2007 E63 AMG
I just had a sub put in my E63.

look into the Polk Audio SR124

it's a 12" reference series amp that will blow your mind. I have all Polk in my home theater setup, so I'm partial to Polk, found a great local shop that was ok with me ordering my own hardware - these subs are $399 full retail at Crutchfield, I got mine at Sonicelectronix.com for $229 delivered. using a similar powered amp, a Boston Acoustics GTA 800M. 800W RMS at 2 ohms (get the SR124 in the DVC dual voice coil so u can wire them in parallel to create a 2 ohm load to get the most out of your amp)

they built me a custom box in my spare tire well, it looks awesome and sounds unbelieveable.

even the guys at the stereo shop were surprised at how much sound comes from a single sub. they hadn't worked with any Polk components before, they do a lot of Rockford Fosgate.

check out the reviews on the sub yourself online, it's also a very efficient sub and hits hard very low while being very clear. I don't listen to alot of rap so I need a clear "tight" sub.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vegas55amg
I just had a sub put in my E63.

look into the Polk Audio SR124

it's a 12" reference series amp that will blow your mind. I have all Polk in my home theater setup, so I'm partial to Polk, found a great local shop that was ok with me ordering my own hardware - these subs are $399 full retail at Crutchfield, I got mine at Sonicelectronix.com for $229 delivered. using a similar powered amp, a Boston Acoustics GTA 800M. 800W RMS at 2 ohms (get the SR124 in the DVC dual voice coil so u can wire them in parallel to create a 2 ohm load to get the most out of your amp)

they built me a custom box in my spare tire well, it looks awesome and sounds unbelieveable.

even the guys at the stereo shop were surprised at how much sound comes from a single sub. they hadn't worked with any Polk components before, they do a lot of Rockford Fosgate.

check out the reviews on the sub yourself online, it's also a very efficient sub and hits hard very low while being very clear. I don't listen to alot of rap so I need a clear "tight" sub.
thanks bro , maybe ill try that next time as i ended up going with a 10 inch kicker L7 in ported box and 750.1 kicker amp . got them brand new for for alil over $400 .. shipped .. just waitin for them to arrive .. was gonna go twelve but i thought it be too much for my crappy stock bose setup ..
Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

it should sound great! I used to have one of the old Kicker Solo-Baric 10" in a sealed box in my old car and it was a quality sub.

I wouldn't worry about being too much for your system, the beauty of a good sub is how it fills in the music u didn't even know u were missing, and if its too much for your tastes u can always adjust the gain on your amp down.

it's only a prob if its not loud ENOUGH! I put 2 x 8" subs in my CLK55 Cabrio, it helps the factory bose alot but I'm kinda wishing I had done another 12 in a custom box in my tire well because the stereo in my other car is incredible.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yea at first i was thinking one ten wont knock but i can always get two if its not enough .. Just that without swapping out the whole cabin speakers and head unit didnt want togo to big .
My 10L7 is 600 watts rms 1200 max the 750.1 is 375 4ohm 750 2ohm .. i probably wont be able to turn the gain up all way or will that speaker handle everything that amp has . also heard this amp can come with upto 900 watts on the birth sheet ..
either way when they get here gonna hook them up , if doesnt knock the way i want it to then ill add another ..

after going to couple install places see what kinda wires n such they gonna use most use generic wire kits unless you pay extra for the bigger ,better brand names, so i guess i will just order a kicker wire kit as it give me an extra year of warrenty using all same brand . Cant wait to here some thump in my 55 ..

Was your trunk sealed or you still got enough bass into the cabin ?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 AM

07 S550 & 05 SL55
Originally Posted by MBFLO
thanks alot
the speaker is question would be
Subwoofer Part Number: S12L72
Dual 4 ohm voice coils pre wired to run @ 2 ohms
2 Ohm Final Impedance

since its prewired would that be ok ?
and had ppl tell me to get a capacitor . do i really need one ? The shop doin the install suggest 4Gauge wiring . Is that enough ? Thanks bro
yup pre wired is fine if you have a dmm on hand you can test the impedance at the terminals if you like it should sit around 2ohms. just note it may not be exact but dont worry about it

capacitor is not needed they actual put a larger strain on your electrical system if its already to weak

the easiest way to help your electrical system would be to upgrade your stock wiring to something such as the big 3. you can find info on this if you google search big 3 wiring

4 AWG sounds correct but check with the owners manual for the amplifier

if you have not purchased wiring i suggest going to a company called knukonceptz.com they have the best bang for the buck wiring. they are not the cheapest but they offer the best true wiring for the money

the only other brands that truly make good wiring are jl audio and stinger in my experience

if you have any other questions feel free to pm me and hopefully i can help you out
Old 09-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MBFLO
Yea at first i was thinking one ten wont knock but i can always get two if its not enough .. Just that without swapping out the whole cabin speakers and head unit didnt want togo to big .
My 10L7 is 600 watts rms 1200 max the 750.1 is 375 4ohm 750 2ohm .. i probably wont be able to turn the gain up all way or will that speaker handle everything that amp has . also heard this amp can come with upto 900 watts on the birth sheet ..
either way when they get here gonna hook them up , if doesnt knock the way i want it to then ill add another ..

after going to couple install places see what kinda wires n such they gonna use most use generic wire kits unless you pay extra for the bigger ,better brand names, so i guess i will just order a kicker wire kit as it give me an extra year of warrenty using all same brand . Cant wait to here some thump in my 55 ..

Was your trunk sealed or you still got enough bass into the cabin ?
custom 1.2 cu ft box is sealed, my installer removed the floor cover that covers the spare tire (which I removed, I carry a can of fix a flat and a 12 volt inflator, if that don't work, I'll just call a tow truck and cough up a hundred bucks for a tow to the nearest Discount Tire), and built a custom box and floor with the sub and amp mounted flush with the floor, I put a grill over the sub so my wife wouldn't drop a grocery bag right on it - I like my bass clear and tight, so I did my research and got a sub that would be optimized for that type of application.

the sub POUNDS. no problem getting LOTS of bass into the cabin, in fact I have to turn my bass down on some songs because it overpowers my mids and highs, even though I like alot of bass!

I never cared for the sound of ported boxes, not as clean or clear.
I'll eventually take some photos and put them up, right now I've been pretty busy.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks guys alot ..

I ended up going with a 4ohm 10L7 in the kicker ported box .. After doing some research on car audio forums i guess that a seeledbox with hit harder then a portedbox .. which my guess will give a lower bass .. anyhow the kicer came in the box .. The port hole is on the side and is round no squared rectangle shape like i see. Also found out that port or vent should be on front of box same as speaker . anyhow ordered a PAC LOC and still can't decide whch wires i want figure might as well keep the whole system kicker while im at it now .

so 4 ohm wired parallel into 2ohm .. does this require takig the speaker out the box or is thisfront the speaker to the amp .. I'm sure installer will know but I'd lik to know also .
Now if thse other damn parts would ship in allready so i can bump alil ..
Old 09-24-2010, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well got my system put in .. L7 kicker 10 inch 4ohm with the 750.1 kicker mono amp .. I ****ed up when ordering my subwoofer . Though if i get the 4ohm i can wire into 2 ohms . Boy was i wrong . It actually DVC 2ohm wired into 4ohm. Anyhow . It knocks good for a ten even though everything turned down low for now .. Ran a Rockford fosgate 4gauge wires and over all sounds good .. Debating if adding another 10 will give it the complete sound it needs or if im still new to this . Btw this my first sub system since i racker 2 15's in my navigator . Some songs sounds alot better then others .. Notice my aux input doesnt have same loudness as my radio . But still knocks good for one 10 inch . Istalled the bass control in ashtray location since i dont use ashtray anyways ..Love it there as opposed to under the dash by my knees . plus when i close the lid you dont even know its there .

Well the installer notice the two wholes in the deck and where covered in foam ripped that out and man it made a differnce getting base into the cabin . But on my 30 mile ride home after couple min on the freeway i could smell my amp <uhhohh> so my guess is there was a reason they put that foam in there . Well thanks for all suggestions , this place is da bomb .. Gots to go BOOOOM BOOOOOM lol