Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Adding Telematics to vehicle (R320BT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Adding Telematics to vehicle (R320BT)

I bought the car a year ago as it had everything we wanted except mBrace/TeleAid. I asked on the forum then and was shot down, but wanted to know if anyone has any experience with adding Telematics to a vehicle not pre-wired from the factory. Had I been able to order from the factory, i would have, but could not at the time.

Any ideas. Would be willing to spend a couple grand, but no more. Thanks in advance for kind advice and no flaming of my question
Old 09-21-2010, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Never heard of recent USA Mercedes not delivered with Tele Aid capability.

It does require an active subscription for it to work, of course, and I'd recommed mBrace over Tele Aid in that case. Dealer will have to modify to switch from Tele Aid to mBrace but that's free.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/mbrace/overview

However IMHO it's barely worth it to even subscribe and therefore I'd think not worth it at all to fit any extra electronics hardware in the unlikely event that's required. If you don't get knocked out in your accident, your cell phone will do all tele aid/mbrace will. mbrace can unlock your doors remotely, which of course your cellphone can't, but so will carrying your spare key.

Last edited by lkchris; 09-21-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Thanks for the reply. I have switched the TeleAid on my GL to mBrace already and find i do like it better. On the 2009 R-class, TeleAid was indeed an option, sadly, and ours was not so equipped when built. There were not many diesels available, which was a must for me, so we decided to forego. (Ridiculous cost-cutting move by MB, much like the now-OPTIONAL rear side-airbag in the E-class...this BURNS ME UP).

However, since then, friends of my parents were knocked off of a local road by a teenager who left the scene (no one else saw the accident and the vehicle was not visible), their S-class flipped, and the only reason they are alive is because TeleAid made contact with emergency personel.

So, i'm feeling compelled to either install or trade, as i want my kids and wife to be covered by this service...and really don't want to trade.