Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Generic aftermarket HU head units - Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Generic aftermarket HU head units - Question

There's many threads about HU replacements to the "BIG 4"
car audio makers Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer.

BUT... Does anyone have knowledge or experience with generic off brands found on EBAY or iOffer??? Why spend so much $$$ when you can get something cheaper that can do more.

Hoping someone can help!

Here's a excerpt from a hand slap I got fore requesting help.

Anyways.. I'll do another search for "off brand" head units with compatible wiring harness, most of this thread refers to AVID and Z3 which doesn't have the amenities that I want. Sucks because I'd prefer known quality manufactures such as Alpine and Clarion.. too bad they're behind the curve in technology.

As far as I know they don't make HD 800x400 HU's just yet. ***PLEASE let me know if ANYONE knows differently*** There's no question that HD is better for video just don't know how much audio quality you have to sacrifice.

Also Alpine, Kenwood and Clarion doesn't support PIP which allows you to see your Navi and a smaller screen that displays your video files at the same time. Pretty niffty IMO..

Upside for the "BIG 4" are that they make HardDrives which is great for people that have alot of media like me.

Off to "study" the THREADS!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:29 PM

C32 AMG
BUMP
Old 10-07-2010, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
The cheaper ones are just that, cheap... I tried a dual and I tried JVC, both of them were sold off to some other dummy... I was the first, as to try to save a buck.

anyways, Clarion fell way behind, Kenwood has some nice stuff, and so does Alpine and Pioneer. But I have hands on with Alpine, and Kenwood. Kenwood has a few gadgets and some real cool stuff about their systems, Alpine has some generic stuff and also some cool stuff.

However, unlike the cheap crap, the Alpine is completely reliable and same with the KW.

Alpines screen is 1.3 mill pixel and displays awesome videos, including those of the ipod.

It is up to you on what your budget is and what you want.

my guiding belief is that if you buy cheap, you buy twice... and sometimes it works in your favor sometimes it doesn't

I hope that helps you out
Old 10-07-2010, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
And, to be 100% honest, I am working on a design of a headunit because i think they all are lacking... the best headunit to this day is the MB S class comand
Old 10-08-2010, 09:23 PM

C32 AMG
Thanks for your input and suggestions. I'll probably stay away from the cheap crap an invest my $$ on something more reliable. Still trying to figure out which one I want. I'm leaning towards a AVID Z2 upgraded to Z3. There some floating on Ebay for a decent price. I like that it has a HD to store my media.

My buddy tells me Pioneer isn't so great. Anyone know differently?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
There have been some complaints... but what hasn't? I am no fan of Pioneer, but every manufacturer has some issues