Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Euro Comand Pre-canbus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Euro Comand Pre-canbus

I am looking into purchasing a Pre-Canbus Euro Comand, and would like to have a tv tuner + external video inputs.

Do the Pre Canbus Euro comand systems allow for the same MB TV tuners as the other canbus Comands?

do i need to buy something on top of the TV tuner to allow for external A/V?

Anybody have any part numbers?

Thanks for any information, I'm starting to go nuts trying to figure it all out.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:01 AM

W210 e55 1999
Re: Euro Comand Pre-canbus

Originally posted by vishal123
I am looking into purchasing a Pre-Canbus Euro Comand, and would like to have a tv tuner + external video inputs.

Do the Pre Canbus Euro comand systems allow for the same MB TV tuners as the other canbus Comands?

do i need to buy something on top of the TV tuner to allow for external A/V?

Anybody have any part numbers?

Thanks for any information, I'm starting to go nuts trying to figure it all out.
Hi

I fitted a non canbus Euro Comand part number A210 820 4889 to my UK 1999 W210 and also to my UK 2001 ML .

I also fitted the stock MB tuner (latest type with the 2 pairs of phono input Av sockets ) part number A220 820 0895. Nothing else needed for av input, I use it for TV and also for PS2 and DVD player.

The best deals are on German Ebay.

I also fitted a megacomm canbus adapter to each comand to ensure the when the cars lights were switched on, comand button lights came on too and also the screen changes to night mode (blue) .

You could also use the ML comand which is also non canbus and does not need the canbus adaptor to make the lights thing work
A163 820 3689.

What car are you looking to fit comand into? You need the right comand for the right car as the fixings can be different .

Last edited by Tempman; 04-22-2003 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:14 AM

Thank You Tempman- I truly appreciate the information you have shared.

I have a 97 w210 E320.

This i belive is the TV Tuner you were talking about.
TV Tuner

Is the wire to connect them together?
wire

The TV Tuner model number is listed as 220 820 00 97 , you listed it as A220 820 0895. Is there any difference? This unit looks as if it would take up an entire DIN slot. Where did you put it? Under the passenger seat?

I think i will avoid the ML comand unit, as it will not allow for external A/V or TV.

I was on the megacomm website, and i could not find the part you were talking about.
Is this a high price item?
How does it work?
Does it know when i turn my lights on and sets my comand to dark mode?

On the comand Unit itself, I understand i should look for the non-canbus version (A210 820 4889).
Is there any way to differentiate it visually from the canbus version(A210 820 5489)?

Where are your A/V inputs located? the glove compartment?

Again thanks for any questions that you may be able to answer, and if you remember approximately how much you spent on these items, please give me an idea.
I truly appreciate your time.

Vishal
Old 04-23-2003, 12:18 AM

one more thing

One more thing-
will i have any problems with my non-fiber optic CD changer?
Thanks
Vishal
Old 04-23-2003, 05:38 AM

W210 e55 1999
Hi

The TV tuner link you showed is an old Tuner , you need the one I quoted which has 2 pairs of phono AV input sockets at the rear.

The W210 has a TV tuner bracket which fixes behind the boot (trunk) liner on the left side. The Av input wires just plug straight in , you can locate your AV kit anywhere you like. Probably best to run standard extension phono leads to inside the car.

The TV connection cable you showed looks ok, but make sure you buy one of the correct length. Mine was a standard MB part although I bought it from megacom 5mts long I think. If you mount the TV tuner under the seat It may get too hot as there are ventil;ation holes top & bottom. The rear trunk location is the best place which is where MB put them.

If you have a W210 E320 then the ML comand will work but the fixings are different . The Euro ML comand will support TV & AV inputs - the connections are the same on all Comand 2.0 units .

Does you car have steering wheel audio buttons ?? If yes then you need comand A210 820 5689 . If no then you need comand part number A 210 820 4889, but from my experience, in order to get this comand to illuminate with the car light switch , you will definately need to buy the megacom CANbus 2.0 adapter. Try emailing meinhard.guenther@megacomm.de he speaks very good English and will help you . They take paypal now as well.

The visual difference between the 4889 and the 5689 is that the 5689 has an alpha numeric keypad , the 4889 just has numeric. otherwise they look identical.

Have a look at this web site http://users.pandora.be/miata/ and click on the my other car link and then the install comand section

Total costs in Euros approx:
Comand 900
TV tuner 500
TV Cable 100
Canbus adapter 160

plus the other facia parts you need to convert from single din to double din .

I's allow around 2,000 euros for the whole job

hope this helps

Last edited by Tempman; 04-23-2003 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:43 AM

W210 e55 1999
Re: one more thing

One more thing-
will i have any problems with my non-fiber optic CD changer?
Thanks
Vishal
YES!

Comand will only allow a Fibre optic CD changer to conect to it either an MB original part or a BEcker silverstone compatable unit
Old 04-23-2003, 10:40 PM

Smile

Tempman-
greetings from New York.

I have the E-class without steering controls (non-canbus)

The megacomm adapter will also emulate the Canbus pulse correct?
Then does it matter which comand i get?

Both the comands function the same, correct?

Thanks again.

Vishal K. Gupta
Old 04-24-2003, 10:02 AM

W210 e55 1999
Tempman-
greetings from New York.

I have the E-class without steering controls (non-canbus)

The megacomm adapter will also emulate the Canbus pulse correct?
Then does it matter which comand i get?

Both the comands function the same, correct?

Thanks again.

Vishal K. Gupta
Hi

The Megacomm adapter connects comand to the, ignition wire, earth wire speed pulse wire and lighting wire all found on The main ISO plug A . It provides a signal to the canbus to ensure that a) the 4889 comand responds accordingly to to lighting status of the car, b) if you use the 5689 comand in a non can bus car, it prevents the unit automatically switching off after 30 mins as it needs a can bus signal to keep it running.

both comands function the same as far as TV, Radio, NAV, Telephone are concerned.

Old 04-24-2003, 07:47 PM

Thanks Tempman-

Does anyone know if there is a radio code needed for euro comands? I emailed a few buys selling them on ebay, and they said they didnt have the codes.

Do these comands just dont have codes, or are they rip offs? Thanks guys.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:02 AM

W210 e55 1999
As far as I Know Comand does not need a radio code to activate it so make sure your car has a good security system !