Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Install Satellite Radio on Fiber Optic Bus - XM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500, 1977 450SL, 2007 Cadillac Escalade
Install Satellite Radio on Fiber Optic Bus - XM

For those of you looking to install satellite and being quoted $2500 by MB for a 'factory' Sirius receiver, XM receivers for a fiber optic bus are available for about $900 installed ($700 parts, $200 labor). mObridge makes one - look for an authorized installer at mobridgeinc.com. I believe there are also other manufacturers. They are designed to work like the factory unit, using the COMAND functions. My antenna was installed on the windshield so no drilling through the trunk! And no, I'm not affiliated with mObridge or XM, just tired of bending over for Mr. Benz.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
find a MB tuner on eBay for $250 bucks, $35 for the power plug with optical from mobridge, $20 antenna, install it yourself, and if needed have the dealer code it in your car $120
Old 10-15-2010, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Also the antenna mounts under the hood vents on most MB's so it is completely hidden and works flawlessly
Old 10-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
I have been looking for a more 'cost efficient permanent' solution to my lack of satellite radio dilemma and this is looking good! I have an '03 E500 which isn't satellite ready and I'm currently using a Roady XT from way back when and a cassette adapter. I don't care anything about the navigation feature. So what tuner should I be looking for or where do I find the info to tell me what I need to be looking for? Thanks in advance for anything you can give me!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500, 1977 450SL, 2007 Cadillac Escalade
Originally Posted by rhurtado
I have been looking for a more 'cost efficient permanent' solution to my lack of satellite radio dilemma and this is looking good! I have an '03 E500 which isn't satellite ready and I'm currently using a Roady XT from way back when and a cassette adapter. I don't care anything about the navigation feature. So what tuner should I be looking for or where do I find the info to tell me what I need to be looking for? Thanks in advance for anything you can give me!
Go to mobridgeinc.com. They can tell you if your car is supported and recommend an authorized installer in your area. As an update to my install, I had to have my audio gateway control unit software updated by MB after the install which cost me an hour's labor ($135). This isn't necessary on all models but it was on mine due to some quirks with the XM caused by the older software version. MB told me there were dozens of audio updates over the past decade that most cars never got.
You can also get a Sirius receiver installed for about $200 more - ask the installer about it.
Good luck!