Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

1994 W140 s420 - Aux Input ?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 S420
1994 W140 s420 - Aux Input ?????

I apologize for taking forum supporters back in time.....I recently purchased 94 S420 (only 60k miles) and was wondering can I hijack the remote CD feature of in dash radio and wire in an AUX mini jack, or can I straight wire the AUX line back to the inputs on the amp similar to radio output.

My guess is the "system" has to be on to energize the amp power supply.

My hope is by using the CD signal and the control button, I an keep the system hot and use the AUX as the signal source.

All wishful thinking until anyone with real tech knowledge tells me what/how to route etc..if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
please excuse my straight forwardness on this, but since there is no collector value for this vehicle, and they been selling for about $5k in mint condition, why not add an aftermarket headunit? the only thing you will miss is the weather band.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 PM

1994 S420
I am open to suggestions. One posting on newer models indicated a connector module was readily available behind A frame pillar and I was hoping anyone with experience with W140 would have an easy to install alternative.

There are some creative people out there if they happen to stumble across the request.

Otherwise, I then have to decide if I trust a big box retailer to connect properly and a few readings of MB forums leave me doubtful.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:03 AM

1994 S420
Options for adding MP3, ipod, AUX to W140 S420

For those of us with older models of MB, I am looking for feedback on best way to add ipod/aux input to a 1994 S420. I've seen enough other threads which indicate aftermarket headunit installs are risky due to the unique requirements of the BOSE amp which drives the system.

I've seen the Becker DIY which shows how to hijack the tape player outputs with a soldered in AUX feed. Relatively cheap, limited features.

I've seen a link to ipodcarspro.com for a unit which plugs in place of trunk CD changer and claims to offer radio control of ipod. Under $150 for PA11-MB. Regular AUX input also available with no radio control features.

PA11-MB - CB-PM4 USA Spec iPod Adapter Interface for Mercedes (1994-1998)

I've seen Newegg items - two different FM transmitters direct wired to back of head unit antenna connection. Claims to offer better than wireless transmitter by disconnecting regular antenna when unit is active..both under $50

Newegg.com - Alpine DPR-RDS1 Factory Radio Interface for iPod and iPhone

Newegg.com - Isimple IS31 Universal Auxiliary Input for FM Radios

I've also heard Becker will overhaul an older head unit and add the AUX input for $100.

Anyone with experience on similar to above, your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
Your 1492 radio was used in 92 94 S series and is a two piece affair with the tuner in the trunk and the control unit in the dash, the CD was controlled by running a cable from the front control which was rerouted thru the CD and back into the tuner, The Bose was uninque for those years, Becker does modify those radios by providing a jack.