Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Speakers popping and crackling...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320 Sedan
Speakers popping and crackling...

I have the Bose 6 speaker system in my 98 E320 and my driver side door speaker starting popping one day. It would pop and crackle for 15-20 minutes then stop and sound fine for anywhere from 20 minutes to a few days. So eventually I took the panel off and unhooked the speaker. Well then the crackling moved to the rear deck speakers. Now they crackle and pop anytime I have the power hooked up to them. In the mean time I've unhooked them and all of the other speakers sound fine.

I had a mechanic friend take a look at it, stereos are not his specialty by any means, but he said the speakers are getting power intermittently. So the popping is coming from the power going it and out.

Is my amp or possibly the deck going out? Could it just be a short circuit somewhere? Any help on where to start looking is much appreciated.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
take it to your local stereo shop, you could have a grounded wire, bad speaker, or bad amp