Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W211 Euro comand Vs US Comand: pros & cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
W211 Euro comand Vs US Comand: pros & cons

After a lot of research in this forum, I have decided to replace my 2003 E500 Audio 50 for either a euro Comand or a north america Comand. My priorities are MP3 playback and ipod playback for which I also plan to install the Cartronics. Navigation is a possibility for the future.

I'm not interested in playing video but I'm considering an Euro comand as it can read MP3 DVDs. However I have read several comments on problems with the software updates and setup with the euro comand and also comments about different radio frequency format in the euro comand Vs the frequencies used in north america.

I plan a DIY installation and I would appreciate comments on the following:

- Is there more risk of running into problems with the installation of the euro comand like possibility of wrong software updates at the MB dealer or possibility of software compatibility issues with the HK logic 7 gateway installed in my car?

- Is there any problem with the different radio frequencies set up on the euro comand Vs the frequencies used in north America?

- What Comand version would you recommend for my needs?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
I have a little story.

Back in 06 I bought an ML in the U.S. fully loaded so it had the Command system. Few months later I moved to Europe and had it shipped here and once landed the Command system was useless and radio reception was awful. I took it to the stealership to have it converted to Euro Command and they wanted nearly 5,000$ how crazy is that?!? Obviously I refused to pay that ridiculous price & I was basically stuck with a car that had no Nav & Radio. I sold it in a heartbeat and let the next owner deal with the issues.

All that to say that you will most likely run into serious complications. I am not saying it cannot be done but it sure is going to cost you a lot of bucks!!

Good luck & let us know how it goes if you go through with it