Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Locked or Unlocked Phone??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Locked or Unlocked Phone??

Ok, I've just about had it with upgrading my 99 E430 integrated phone.

I have decided to go with the Euro integrated phone system to replace my (worthless) MB analog phone. I plan to buy the new PSE, cradle, and cord phone kit from Steve (MBenzNL) (the patron saint of MB upgrades on the West Coast). With that system in my car (in a couple of weeks time) I will buy a Nokia 6310i phone and VIOLA! I am back in integrated phone business.

Here's the rub: do I buy a "locked" phone from my local AT&T service provider? OR do I buy an "unlocked" 6310i off Ebay?

The price is comparable, though the unlocked phones are a little more money. I guess with the unlocked phone I'm buying flexibility if I want to change phone service providers in the future and the ability to buy prepaid phone cards and avoid a service contract altogether??

It sounds like the difference is that an unlocked phone can be used with any phone service provider (Verizon, AT&T, whomever). Does anyone have any experience with the locked/unlocked issue?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2003, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Save your money, buy the locked phone from AT&T now. Then there will be warranty, support, etc.

Then, if you ever need it unlocked, pay $5-10 from an unlocking service and get it unlocked.

-s-
Old 05-15-2003, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Thanks scorchie. I figured you'd be the guy to know.

Multi-function cluster? (Steve told me to ask.)

cheers,