Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Phone Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 clk500; 2006 CLS 500 ; 1994 E 320 cabriolet
Phone Options

I have a 2006 CLS-500. It has never had the phone system installed (didn't order it when we bought the car originally).

I was wondering about a couple of options, other than the full out MB system, which is extremely costly:

1. If you only want bluetooth connection could you buy selected parts, avoiding the portions such as Voice Command, Linear Compensator, Push to talk lever, antenna splitter? It seems that these would not be necessary to have simple bluetooth capability. Then you would need (1) MHI Control Module, (2) MOST Adapter Cable and (3) contact plate.

or

2. Is there a method for using the built in Teleaid system as interface?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
There are a number of nice battery operated bluetooth devices which attach to your sun visor. They give you basic functions.

I haven't shopped lately, but the wife has one by Blueant which is a few years old.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Look at our iTronic BT - it is exactly what you have asked for. It gives you all the factory phone functions, with only one box, easily installed and for a fraction of the price (along with some extra features to boot)
Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
There you go again about your product... you mean the MoBridge piece that you re-badge..., further there is the NavTv Tooki interface. rbelz I believe that if you ever upgrade to the MBrace system that the interfaces will not work correctly as I seen some of those issues already...
Old 04-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Jbondox, with all due respect, we do NOT rebadge mObridge equipment. You should order one from us to find out. Also, we are a sponsor on this forum with 1000's of happy clients, so I am not sure what axe you are grinding.
I would be happy to loan you one to find out.... Your not even close. However, we do offer mObridge product as an authorized distributor (one of the largest).
We used to sell Tooki, but experienced a 18% failure rate. We then partnered with two other manufacturers to make our own to our specifications and have enjoyed a .01% failure rate.

Last edited by Cartronics; 04-09-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Mercedes factory installed system will run you about $1500 with installation and parts.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
[QUOTE=rbelz;4616238
1. If you only want bluetooth connection could you buy selected parts, avoiding the portions such as Voice Command, Linear Compensator, Push to talk lever, antenna splitter? It seems that these would not be necessary to have simple bluetooth capability. Then you would need (1) MHI Control Module, (2) MOST Adapter Cable and (3) contact plate.

or

2. Is there a method for using the built in Teleaid system as interface?[/QUOTE]

1) Yes, you are correct; you would not need the parts you excluded, and you would need the parts you included - plus a Bluetooth dongle (puck).

2) No.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
There is no point in buying the components individually anymore since the price of the kits went down so much in price that the kits cheaper than buying the individual components. In the past there would have been big savings. Also there is no teleaid adapters for this vehicle that only works on some 03/04 vehicles.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:43 PM

2006 E55
I just bought the itronic BT for my 2006 E55. I have watched the cartronic installation video a few times. The video indicates that you just pull the center console shift plate up so you can remove the ashtray (and thereby expose the cd changer plug port). Anyway, my shift plate is in SOLID and does not budge when i try to pop it up. I dont want to force it. any suggestions ? Thanks to all. greg
Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It is not solid...promise. Put a plastic tool or something under the front edge if you can't get a good grip and pry up. You really can't break it.
I have done hundreds, and some are tougher than others. I have just gotten used to grabbing and yanking up hard. Never broken anything yet... and I mean I have literally installed up to 800 or 900 personally.
Did a couple at the local dealership today, and should have seen the service advisors eyes when he saw me yank up so hard. I just laughed and showed him how it all works. He wanted to watch the install (took 18 minutes start to finish, but of course I have a "little" experience)

Last edited by Cartronics; 04-13-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:13 PM

2006 E55
Ok, thank you for the quick reply. I expect to receive my Itronic BT unit this week in the mail and hope to do the installation this weekend. I sure hope I don't damage my expensive shift plate in the process! I will report back on my experience for others who may be considering the same Itronic BT installation.

A few years ago, I installed a MB OEM phone unit in my prior car (99 E430, which was totalled in March, 2011 w/o any injuries). Unfortunately, the MB unit did not support new phones as the wireless technology evolved so that unit was very soon outdated and useless. I am really looking forward to having bluetooth capability for my blackberry and soon to be iPhone in the E55. My hope is that the Itronic BT unit will also support newer phones over the coming years while I own this car. Nothing like hands free integrated phone service through the NAV screen while you drive. Thanks again, Greg
Old 04-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It is fully software upgradeable. So as new phones and tech hit the streets, we are not far behind with updates.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:48 AM

2006 E55
itronic BT installed w/issues

Ok, I have just finished installing an Itronic BT (without ipod function) in my 2006 E55. The installation was not as effortless as I had expected.

It was easy to splice in the fibre optic cable. Then the fibre optic cable plugged into a harness under the CD changer no problem. But accessing the power lines at the back of the CD changer meant removing the CD changer to access the power lines at the back. (There is a significant gap in the itronics instructional video on the step for connecting the power to the back of the CD changer and that was where I had my problems with the installation process.)

The bracket that holds the fibre optic cables to the bottom of the CD changer came off the changer and was impossible to remount. I ended up just stuffing the bracket with the fibre optic cable mount in behind the CD changer. The lines to the CD changer were too short to allow any maneuvering of the CD changer into position and made it impossible to remount the bracket to the bottom of the changer.

Now, I am able to make a phone call using the COMMAND controls but not using the multifunction steering wheel (MFSW). I do not even get the telephone function displayed when i toggle through the functions with the MFSW buttons. Is there some sort of re-syncing that needs to be done to get the MFSW to control the phone? if so, is the dealer required to do that?

When I synced the bluetooth on my blackberry to the installed phone, the BB recognized the COMMAND as "mobridge" (not itronic). What is mobridge? (My unit is an itronic Bt purchased from Cartronics (??)

in addition, my phone book entires only show through the letter G entries, not the entire alphabet. So, what's up with that?

I plan to call cartronics tomorrow for some support. They have been friendly on the phone in my prior call. Any input from those who may have encountered these issues with the itronic BT would be appreciated. A little frustrated here. Thanks, Greg
Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by E430guy
When I synced the bluetooth on my blackberry to the installed phone, the BB recognized the COMMAND as "mobridge" (not itronic). What is mobridge? (My unit is an itronic Bt purchased from Cartronics (??)
I cannot answer your installation questions; however, mObridge is a manufacturer of products for MOST-based fiber optics. There has been some controversy between some members of the forum (in which I do not take sides) over whether the Cartronics/iTronic line is simply rebranded mObridge equipment.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

If you are having any problems at all, please call our support staff.
There is no controversy at all concerning iTronic and mObridge. We sell both iTronic and mObridge. One of the iTronic devices is the same as a mObridge (however the installation kit is different). All the rest of the products (iTronic is a brand that covers many devices) are different.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 AM

2006 E55
Ironic installEd with issues

Thanks to you both for your replies. I will call cartronilcs this morning and I'm confident they can help me out. It will be nice to have the Bluetooth phone function available in my car. I have missed that from my old E430. Regards,