Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

What are the specs on my C230K Audio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 560SL (Sold)
Question What are the specs on my C230K Audio?

Three weeks ago, I purchased my first Benz, a 2003 C230K Sports Coupe. I have read much in the MBWorld forums since then, but I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

I have the standard audio system, not the Bose package. Who is the manufacturer, what is the model #, what are the specs, etc. Does anyone know where to find this info? Also, if I were to want to upgrade it (amps and speakers only, I am not dissatisfied with the head unit), what are my options?

Any help that you could give a newcomer is greatly appreciated. If you would rather send me a pm, that would be fine too.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my 2002:

Part number A 203 820 10 86
Model number CM1010
Manufacturer Alpine

I have done all sorts of searches on Google and can find no information about this unit.

There are no separate amps with the standard system.

Most people who have changed speakers say that the stock speakers are pretty good. The headunit is why the system doesn't sound real good.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:49 AM

1988 560SL (Sold)
lynn

Originally posted by Lynn
From my 2002:

Part number A 203 820 10 86
Model number CM1010
Manufacturer Alpine

I have done all sorts of searches on Google and can find no information about this unit.

There are no separate amps with the standard system.

Most people who have changed speakers say that the stock speakers are pretty good. The headunit is why the system doesn't sound real good.
Lynn,

Thanks for the quick response. I am going to assume that the 2003 components are the same as 2002.
Do you know if the problem with the head unit is lack of power, or is it just a poor quality deck?

Tim
Old 05-22-2003, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is commonly believed that the headunit is the absolute cheapest that MB could talk Alpine into building. Alpine won't even put their name on the unit. It is identifiable as an Alpine only by the model number.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
When I checked way back when the Techs at MBUSA told me that the std system is supposed to be 80W and the Bose 120W. They couldn't or wouldn't provide any other details. So take this info with a grain of salt.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I always thought Becker did Mercedes' stock systems. I know Alpine did the changers, but I did not know they did head units for 'em too. Oh well. Actually it's not the "head unit" that makes it sound so poorly. What really makes it sound poor is the lack of amplification. That's why aftermarket decks make your stock system sound better. Most have built in 45-52 watt per channel amps. This wattage behind your stock speakers makes them sound better. To tell you the truth, car stereo is one of the biggest marked up items. Those really expensive "titanium", "kevlar", whatever speakers they sell you are worth less than $10. It's really sad. If you want to make you stock system sound good all you really need is one sub and amp combo coupled with an aftermarket deck. I did this to my YUKON and it made it sound perefect, for me anyway. It cost me about $800 installed. I used a Sony Xplod deck (52 watts per channel) and A sony Xplod 10" 700 watt sub with a Sony Xplod 760 Watt amp.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:41 PM
BANNED FOR VIOLATING TOU

C230k
The exact specs are posted here:
http://www.csportcoupe.com/forums/sh...ht=audio+specs
Old 05-27-2003, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by kineda
The exact specs are posted here:
http://www.csportcoupe.com/forums/sh...ht=audio+specs
Terry, those are the specs for the Becker Audio 10, not the stock Alpine cassette player.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:45 AM

1988 560SL (Sold)
Question amps or no amps?

Thanks for all of the responses. I truly appreciate you taking the time to help.

What I am wondering is, since the likelihood of me buying an audio 10 and installing it myself are nil and nil, can the stock system have an amp put on it to improve performance? If so, do I have to use a special amp because of the fiber optics? Do you have one that you recommend over others?

Thanks again.

Tim
Old 05-27-2003, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I wouldn't think so...and you wouldn't need an amp per se. The one inside the aftermarket deck you buy should be sufficient.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:14 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)
deck or amp?

Originally posted by davis449
I wouldn't think so...and you wouldn't need an amp per se. The one inside the aftermarket deck you buy should be sufficient.
Thanks again for replying. What I really want to know is can I get better sound WITHOUT replacing the deck. I am scared to death of the thought of my 4-week old car being torn apart by some clown in an audio shop. Please understand, I don't live in SoCal where there are 50 MB dealers and tons of audio shops with great reps. I live in a town of 75000 people with one dealer within 50 miles! The chances of finding someone that I trust (other than the dealer himself) are not good. That's why I'm hoping just to add an amp to the system.

Any thoughts???
Old 05-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
You might want to look for *SESSION's* post on how to R & R the HU. Because you will need to disrupt the signal to the speakers and will have to reconnect them to any amp you plan on installing. You can use the existing wiring in the car or run brand new stuff. Either way you will have to tap into existing wiring. Even then you will still be faced with the control limitations of the HU. Its been theorized that its control range is only +/- 6 dB whereas the Audio 10 CD and most aftermarket HUs are +/- 12 dBs.