Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Convert COMAND 2.5 tape deck (cassette) to AUX input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 S500
thanks for the advice, looks like that was the problem "my phone. i tried another aux source and did not get the problem . thanks a lot guy for all the advice!
Old 09-17-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 CL500
Sorry for bringing up this old thread again, but... Wouldn't it be possible to use the radio channel instead of the tape, similar to what these guys did?

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...nger-free.html
Old 10-12-2015, 06:13 PM

2002 S500 AMG
Mod Issues

Hey Fellow Benz lovers, I tried this mod and had some of the similar issues that where noted above which help me trouble shoot a lot of things. However I Have an issue that was not talked about. I had to put a cassette in the deck for it to play (not a problem) but when I play the aux cord I have barely any sound and it is also playing the tape in the tape deck at the same time. Did anyone else have this issue and know what I did or can do to get more sound from the aux cord. The radio plays just fine at any volume but the tape deck has minimal sound with the volume maxed out.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:39 PM

CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by babyface
Hey Fellow Benz lovers, I tried this mod and had some of the similar issues that where noted above which help me trouble shoot a lot of things. However I Have an issue that was not talked about. I had to put a cassette in the deck for it to play (not a problem) but when I play the aux cord I have barely any sound and it is also playing the tape in the tape deck at the same time. Did anyone else have this issue and know what I did or can do to get more sound from the aux cord. The radio plays just fine at any volume but the tape deck has minimal sound with the volume maxed out.
It Sounds like you haven't cut the traces properly and there's still a signal travelling to the speakers from the tapes head. Cutting the traces eliminates this signal. Try cutting them a bit deeper.

I did this mod weekend just gone. All working fine... But... I get interference when I have my phone connected to the aux cable and have it on charge at the same time. The speakers on the drivers side cut out... Anyone else had this? Any ideas what it could be?
The following users liked this post:
angvil (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 05:41 PM

N/A
Hello and sorry to bring up an old thread I kind of wanted to do what this guy did in the video

So i removed my Comand 2.5 and removed the tape deck and did the steps as mentioned by OP, but I tried to withdraw power from the tape deck instead of having to get wires all the way from the lighter. (which didn't work, so I guess I have to take wires from the lighter).

I connected Left, Right and Ground as advised in OP without cutting the traces because I have a cassette which is blank, I got audio from the AUX I attached via my phone instead of that fancy bluetooth transmitter, but it's very very low, is that because I didn't cut the traces? If I cut the traces as shown in the pictures above will the audio quality be better?

please help my comand is all removed till I find a solution and I live in the middle east so driving without A/C as horrible haha

appreciate any help
Old 04-19-2016, 07:04 PM

2001 S500; 2008 S500; 2013 Sprinter
Hi,

You should definitely cut the traces, even though you use a blank tape the audio heads still read a signal from the casette and that is what muffles out your audio, I myself have done everything exactly as shown on the pictures and the audio quality is perfectly clear
Old 04-19-2016, 08:57 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by HurtfulGuide8
Hi,

You should definitely cut the traces, even though you use a blank tape the audio heads still read a signal from the casette and that is what muffles out your audio, I myself have done everything exactly as shown on the pictures and the audio quality is perfectly clear

Thanks for your reply

Okay I did cut the traces and now I don't get audio from anywhere!!!

I unplug then motor cable and slide the wheels all the way to the play position and I get "NO TAPE" then I inserted my bluetooth tape (blank tape) and got "Tape Error" then I plugged back the motor cable and it switched from "Side 1" to "Side 2" then displayed "Tape Error" again!

The only way I could get audio out is if I manually turn the wheels as if there was an actual tape working

PLease help now I can't use my bluetooth casette or the aux port!!

I even tried different Aux cables (They all are functional) but not in the car
Old 04-20-2016, 04:26 AM

2001 S500; 2008 S500; 2013 Sprinter
sorry, I did the conversion so long ago that I totally forgot, DO NOT mess with the motor or anything related to it, just pop a casette in there and let it play and the audio will come from your auxilary port, the tape deck isn't loud so leaving a casette in there shouldn't bother you, you won't hear it
Old 10-26-2016, 11:49 AM

W220 S320, W126 380SEC, W111 220SE
Have the thumbnails detailing the mods on the Command 2.5 posted by Cratronics been removed? They're not coming up when I click to enlarge them.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:13 AM

W164
Smile Slight Improvements & Bluetooth 4.0

First of all, thanks to Cartronics for the good primer on this !

I've done more or less the same thing as what he described, but also attached a CSR8645 5V Module (you can find those on eBay and Aliexpress - make sure you don't buy the 5W+5W ones !! - the 12V ones are more popular on eBay it seems, but most sellers if asked will ship you a 5V version).

And now, here's the full tutorial:

If you're interested in Bluetooth mods but don't fancy soldering, I can probably hook you up for a pretty penny (I live in Germany).