Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Remote On Location?? W202

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 01:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C280 Sport
Remote On Location?? W202

I am going to install an ampifier and a sub into my 2000 C280, and I am wondering where I can find a remote on wire for the amplifier. I did find the Bose amplifier, but is there a remote on located on the CD changer?

I looked at the CD changer, and it has the fiber link, and (3) other conductors. I know I can check for a remote on w/ my volt meter, but I was hoping that some of you have already been through this.

Thanks,

-B-
Old 06-03-2003, 08:18 PM

Hello:

I too would like to install an amp into my trunk - where is the BOSE amp located?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 C280 Sport
Power Amp Location.....

I am not sure on your car (1995), but the Bose amplifier in mine is located on the driver's side of the car in the trunk mounted vertically behind the carpeting. I had to pull back the cardboard carpet piece to find it. There is one multi-pin connector plugged into it.

Be careful, I have heard a lot of stories about the sensitivity of these amplifiers. I plan on just tapping off the rear two deck speakers, summing them together via the new power amp and running the sub. I don't want to mess with the original system.

-B-
Old 06-04-2003, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Remote On Location?? W202

Originally posted by CBus
I am going to install an ampifier and a sub into my 2000 C280, and I am wondering where I can find a remote on wire for the amplifier. I did find the Bose amplifier, but is there a remote on located on the CD changer?

I looked at the CD changer, and it has the fiber link, and (3) other conductors. I know I can check for a remote on w/ my volt meter, but I was hoping that some of you have already been through this.

Thanks,

-B-
Blue/black

Make sure that it does not carry current, this wire is not rated for high current.

-s-
Old 06-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 C280 Sport
Thanks Scorchie,

I plan on only using that line to turn on the amp. I will check the current draw in the specs and verify that it is not that high.

-B-
Old 06-07-2003, 05:59 AM
Almost a Member!

Sorry, but DON`T TAKE THE BLUE/BLACK CABLE!!! It`s the Wake-up cable for the Digital Data Bus (D2B)! On the changer is just directly power, ground and Wake-up! You have to take the remote cable form another place, from the Fuse Box,...

Chris
Old 06-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 C280 Sport
Remote ON

Thanks for advice. Actually, I did put in the amplifier and subwoofer this weekend. Before I used the BLUE/BLACK cable, I checked the voltage on it and realized that there was no way this could be a remote on line. SO, luckily I did not use.

I did find the remote on wire located on the Bose amplifier, and tested it before using it. It is the BLUE/WHITE wire located next to the +12V and GND wires on the multi-pin connector.

Amp works and sounds great.

ravens1488, Thanks for the update

-B-
Old 06-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Almost a Member!

No prob.

Chris
Old 06-09-2003, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Remote ON

Originally posted by CBus
Thanks for advice. Actually, I did put in the amplifier and subwoofer this weekend. Before I used the BLUE/BLACK cable, I checked the voltage on it and realized that there was no way this could be a remote on line. SO, luckily I did not use.

I did find the remote on wire located on the Bose amplifier, and tested it before using it. It is the BLUE/WHITE wire located next to the +12V and GND wires on the multi-pin connector.

Amp works and sounds great.

ravens1488, Thanks for the update

-B-
What year is your car? I get 11.38v out of mine... works for me.

-s-
Old 06-10-2003, 12:57 AM
Almost a Member!

once again: DON`T use the blue/black on the Changer, that`s the Wake-up line for the D2B ring! It`s kinda databus and for the diagnostic!

Chris
Old 06-10-2003, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by ravens1488
once again: DON`T use the blue/black on the Changer, that`s the Wake-up line for the D2B ring! It`s kinda databus and for the diagnostic!

Chris
Ummm... it's just the wake up line for the databus. Check the D2B specification (available from Becker) and it is only HIGH or LOW.

-s-
Old 06-10-2003, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Dont use the blue/black wire, its part of the optic fibre network (D2B) and is used so that units on the bus can "wake-up" the other units (otherwise the lasers would be on all the time, and battery would be flat). This allows (for instance) when the phone rings, it can wakeup the head unit etc etc, or when the head-unit is turned on, the CD changer etc is woken up.
What it doesnt have is any high current drivers, so if you connect your power-amp enable line (even though its low current), you could easily blow the output transistors for this circuit in any of the controllers on the D2B bus (head-unit., CD, Phone, VCS, digital-bose amp)

The headunit has an output that drives the antenna ampliifiers in the rear windscreen. From memory its blue/white and runs down the left hand side of the car (in the wiring ducts), and up the side of the rear seat to the 1st amp, which is behind the panel to the side of the rear windscreen (on the left side, in this case). It will be taped to the coax for the aerial.
(NB, my car is right-hand-drive, so it could be the other side, but I doubt it because the rear windscreen design wont change between lhd/rhd)(on my car, D2B ran down the right hand side)

That wire connects to the head-unit on the standard "aerial/amp control" connection on all cars with DIN connectors for power/speakers.

As it runs down to the back of the car already, its simpler to tap into it there ..

Cheers
R

Last edited by Richard; 06-10-2003 at 07:17 AM.